Copperband butterfly and tang aggression

superyellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone
I have a water box 100.3 mixed reef aquarium(which is 103 gallons). I currently have 3 juvenile tangs, a yellow tang, regal tang and a powder blue, I am soon going to add a copperband butterfly does anyone have any experience with this fish combination? Will there be any aggression?

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone
I have a water box 100.3 mixed reef aquarium(which is 103 gallons). I currently have 3 juvenile tangs, a yellow tang, regal tang and a powder blue, I am soon going to add a copperband butterfly does anyone have any experience with this fish combination? Will there be any aggression?
Butterflies do not have the same aggression as tangs so, the best option is adding the butterfly first, and let it settle but if you have a big tank then aggression will be less

OP
OP
S

superyellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Butterflies do not have the same aggression as tangs so, the best option is adding the butterfly first, and let it settle but if you have a big tank then aggression will be less
I already have the tangs in the tank so it’s not an option to add the tangs after l. Do you think the CBB will get bullied in the tank?

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a copperband to my tank three years ago. I used a peace maker box for a few days. My yellow tang was a jerk for a day or two after the copperband was added. I simply watched the tank for the day and distracted the yellow tang when he went near the copperband. Now the two are often seen swimming together. The copperband now holds his own with the tangs and gets his far share of food at feeding time. My tank is a 150 gallons so their is room for them not to see each other from time to time.

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acclimation tanks do a very good job at reducing aggression. 3-7 days seems to work well.
I have a copperband with a yellow tang, hippo, and powder blue. No issues at all. But my tank is also 250g with lots of rock for hiding.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Looks like the dimensions of a 100.3 are 35x24x22 high, so about 80 gallons in the display.

I had a yellow tang kill a pearl scale butterfly in my old 90 gallon after they'd been together for a year or 2. Just went postal one day. Those 2 were the only deep-bodied fishes, whereas you might be better off since there's a group. But those tangs will outgrow that tank eventually.

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would definitely expect some aggression especially from the yellow tang as others have stated. The biggest hurdle when it comes to Copper Bands is making sure they are eating. When you introduce it to your system it will likely be stressed so it may not eat for a day or so, but also they are much slower than tangs are so you need to make sure there is enough food to where they have a chance to get some. Some kind of acclimation box is definitely a good idea and be prepared in case any of the tangs get too aggressive that you can isolate either the tang or Copper Band.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone
In the tank size you have, none of those tangs will work out long term, all of them need a minimum of a 6’ tank, 8’+ is a must for that Regal Tang though. You have fish that are small currently but with the right feedings they can all get 5”+ within just 2 years (and by then, I can tell you they are well past outgrowing that tank).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have the tangs in the tank so it’s not an option to add the tangs after l. Do you think the CBB will get bullied in the tank?
This isn’t a think question… It’s known that the CBB will be bullied. I would hold off on the CBB until you have these things;
1. A tank that has plenty of microfauna, I prefer younger tanks as they have the algae & Aiptasia for CBBs to feed from. Yes I said algae - I know they don’t eat algae but they do eat the pods and pods feed from the algae.
2. Those three tangs rehomed. They just won’t work long term and no matter how well they get along now, they will likely just fight to the death anyway in that tank size. A 3’ tank is barely enough room for just one of those tangs let alone all 3. (It had to be said. We are ALL thinking it).
3. A 4’ tank at the bare minimum. The Butterflies aren’t small fish, they may be slow growing however they’re active once settled and love to have caves as well as open areas to dive all through. Also, CBB’s are mostly known as getting to be 4” fish however I have seen 2-3 rare occasions where these fish have gotten to 6” - in the wild their max size is most commonly at that 5-6 inch mark from what I’ve seen.

I don’t mean for this to sound stern in any way and instead I mean for this to seem like guidance to a thriving reef and good life for all of your fish. A 3’ tank is in all honesty still a small tank that although it seems like so many options are available it’s still restricting to smaller fish (Gobies, certain wrasses, ect). A 4’ tank is where you really unlock options so I recommend waiting until then, that way you can also gain more experience and properly house a CBB.
Here’s my 4’ tank for example, I have had this tank and most of my fish (including the CBB) for 3 years at this point.
059B9C5D-A4FA-453E-9E42-829B7A90158F.jpeg

Back