copperband compatibility

smmarano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a copperband a few months ago, he started with lympho but healed and I conditioned him to eat started with mussels, clams, and worms then progressed to brine shrimp. I added him to my tank eventually with a yellow tang, I began him in an acclimation box for 2 days. The yellow tang began with aggression and then did not care. After about a week of the copperband in the tank, he thrived and little to no aggression was shown between the two. I came home today, and I found the copperband gasping for air with nipped fins. I placed him in the acclimation box again and tried to feed him, he ate. He had difficulties but hours later the injuries were so bad he ended up passing regardless. I love and miss this fish already. I’m posting this to inform others to not add a yellow tang and copperband together (it may be good for however amount of time but eventually will most likely end in disaster no matter how good the fish is doing) I plan on getting another copperband in the future and moving the yellow tang to a different tank. Please take my advise and don’t suffer the same loss I did, I didn’t have anyway tell me after aggression left that it could just come back like that but copperbands are just so gentle it isn’t worth probability. Thank you.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I bought a copperband a few months ago, he started with lympho but healed and I conditioned him to eat started with mussels, clams, and worms then progressed to brine shrimp. I added him to my tank eventually with a yellow tang, I began him in an acclimation box for 2 days. The yellow tang began with aggression and then did not care. After about a week of the copperband in the tank, he thrived and little to no aggression was shown between the two. I came home today, and I found the copperband gasping for air with nipped fins. I placed him in the acclimation box again and tried to feed him, he ate. He had difficulties but hours later the injuries were so bad he ended up passing regardless. I love and miss this fish already. I’m posting this to inform others to not add a yellow tang and copperband together (it may be good for however amount of time but eventually will most likely end in disaster no matter how good the fish is doing) I plan on getting another copperband in the future and moving the yellow tang to a different tank. Please take my advise and don’t suffer the same loss I did, I didn’t have anyway tell me after aggression left that it could just come back like that but copperbands are just so gentle it isn’t worth probability. Thank you.
You can have them together and I have mine in with 24 tangs and 6 are yellow. The key is to have copperband in first.

1682041602833.png
1682041625651.png

OP
OP
S

smmarano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can have them together and I have mine in with 24 tangs and 6 are yellow. The key is to have copperband in first.

1682041602833.png
1682041625651.png
I have heard that is better, but typically that is an aggression issue, this fish has no aggression as the acclimation box was used. And multiple tangs and lots of fish allow aggression to be distributed out, my copperband was the only other big fish, and they got along for a week and would even swim together. Just out of no where it occurred, I’m not saying it’s impossible I’m saying it’s highly improbable and more times than not it will likely end badly, especially in situations where they can be easily singled out.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back