Copperband feeding question

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Dilan Patel, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel Well-Known Member

So I have had my CB for about a week now and has been eating mussels in an acclimation box. I am finding it very hard now since I have just released him into the main tank with all the other fish to get him these mussels. He is not aggressive enough f an eater to get to them. The other fish finish it no matter what I do with that being feeding them first than trying to feed the CB. Any Ideas on what i can do to get the food to him in a more efficient manner.

Tags:

2. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Live blackworms, live brine.

You could also try two live mussels in two different areas.

They’re very shy fish and slow, so more assertive tankmates don’t generally do well with CBB, unless you have a CBB less shy than most or shyer tankmates.

It may slowly be better able to compete or it may starve out or stop eating. I surely hope it’s the prior!

What tankmates and what size tank?

3. BigJim

BigJim Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I turn off all pumps and squirt in thawed LRS Fish Frenzy in a little at a time. My CBB is slower to eat than my other fish but always gets a couple pieces from each squirt. He also picks up anything that might fall to the sand or rocks. Do you chop up the mussels? Smaller pieces would give him a better chance of getting some.

4. Culater94

Culater94 Active Member R2R Supporter

I use LRS and PE Mysis using Julian’s thing and spot feed.
    My copperband comes right to me waiting to be fed , even when I am just walking by the tank. He loves the LRS, but then again all my fish do.
    One trick you can use is taking an old clam shell, and putting the food in there where only he can get to it.

5. Big G

Big G Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

6. Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel Well-Known Member

So he is in a 180 gallon tank he is about 2-1/2 inches. The main fish that eat his food are my two wrasses melenarus and red corris, purple pseduo,naso tang,yellow tang,clown tang. They do not bother him at all just he isnt fast enough. this guy wont eat any LRS or PE mysis yet just live mussels.

7. Myk

Myk Aquatic Creations www.ReefDelivery.com R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor

As long as you are careful to remove any excess, I think the above mentioned suggestion of just simply adding enough mussels to keep everyone busy is a good one.

Big G likes this.
  8. Kmsutows

Kmsutows Active Member

Also, add in the LRS and mysis at the same time as the clam to distract the others... Also an try making something to put the clam into where only the copperbands long nose can get to it

Maritimer and Big G like this.
  9. GoldeneyeRet

GoldeneyeRet Active Member

Make one of those little pvc feeding tubes it works good for me .

Also, I feed littleneck clams sandwiched between a piece of gutterguard mesh so the others can't steal from the cbb

Myk, Maritimer and Big G like this.
  10. 2una

2una Active Member

Have any sort of tube/spaghetti/fan worms in your overflow? If so drop some of that in & he'll love you for it...they won't grow in the tank as he'll clean them out if they try to.

Draft saved Draft deleted