*COPPERSAFE WARNING* along with Research on Hanna Instruments High Range Copper Checker

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Caribsea Fiji Pink. Really like the stuff, but as Humblefish said, it is very dusty, bits of wood, bits of seaweed. But I love the texture, color . . . and the price :D

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know if we can dose antibiotics like nitro or kana during copper?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dose Metroplex with copper. Make sure you have plenty of oxygen exchange.

One item I added awhile ago that really seems to be making my QT a happier place is a small in-tank Tunze protein skimmer. I don't really use it for skimming as much as just nicely oxygenating the water. And its water displacement is only about 10 oz so it has minimal impact on circulating water volume. At higher settings, some microbubbles make it back into the tank, so I just keep it at about 40% output.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One item I added awhile ago that really seems to be making my QT a happier place is a small in-tank Tunze protein skimmer. I don't really use it for skimming as much as just nicely oxygenating the water. And its water displacement is only about 10 oz so it has minimal impact on circulating water volume. At higher settings, some microbubbles make it back into the tank, so I just keep it at about 40% output.

Just curious, do you leave the collection cup off? Or still skim and collect? I thought skimmers would remove meds.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, do you leave the collection cup off? Or still skim and collect? I thought skimmers would remove meds.

The DC pump has variable output. At 40% on this particular setup, no appreciable foam is made and nothing collects in the cup. If I had it set higher, I would get wet foam and yes likely be removing meds, not desirable.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DC pump has variable output. At 40%, no appreciable foam is made and nothing collects in the cup. If I had it set higher, I would get wet foam and yes likely be removing meds, not desirable.
Makes sense, you are just using it as a mega Airstone!

EmptyWallet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi HotRocks,

As an FYI on my latest test (to see if brand new vs 'home cleaned' Cuvettes make any difference to the reading);

Got a brand new Phosphate LR checker today. Tested both Phosphate and Copper.

Phosphate - New Cuvette - 0.09 (test 1) & 0.09 (test 2). Salifert best guess is 0.10 so I'm very happy with that result
Phosphate - Old Cuvette - 0.11 (test 1) & 0.08 (test 2). Suggests only slight difference to using 'home cleaned' / used Cuvettes

Copper - New Cuvette = 0.47, Old Cuvette = 0.47. I know my Copper is about 0.50 so happy with that result too.

Conclusion - 'Home Cleaning' is sufficient - empty ASAP to avoid staining glass, rinse with hot water a few times, then rinse with RO water and air dry

After the 'issue' a few days ago with Copper different readings (0.35, 0.45, 0.39), today instead I shook the Cuvette for 45 seconds (instead of 15 seconds) to make sure the reagent was mostly dissolved, then let it settle for 30 seconds (you can see the micro bubbles head to the top and undissolved reagent settle to the bottom), then visually checked it was clean no floaties or bubbles, then put it in for 'Press C2', which seems to do the trick

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi HotRocks,

As an FYI on my latest test (to see if brand new vs 'home cleaned' Cuvettes make any difference to the reading);

Phosphate - New Cuvette - 0.09 (test 1) & 0.09 (test 2). Salifert best guess is 0.10 so I'm very happy with that result
Phosphate - Old Cuvette - 0.11 (test 1) & 0.08 (test 2). Suggests only slight difference to using 'home cleaned' / used Cuvettes

Copper - New Cuvette = 0.47, Old Cuvette = 0.47. I know my Copper is about 0.50 so happy with that result too.

Conclusion - 'Home Cleaning' is sufficient - empty ASAP to avoid staining glass, rinse with hot water a few times, then rinse with RO water and air dry

After the 'issue' a few days ago with Copper different readings (0.35, 0.45, 0.39), today instead I shook the Cuvette for 45 seconds (instead of 15 seconds) to make sure the reagent was mostly dissolved, then let it settle for 30 seconds (you can see the micro bubbles head to the top and undissolved reagent settle to the bottom), then visually checked it was clean no floaties or bubbles, then put it in for 'Press C2', which seems to do the trick

Glad to hear you got it resolved. The testers can be a little finicky. I have found though following their strict protocol nets accurate readings consistently.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi HotRocks,

We flick and “roll” the tubes to remove all bubbles before testing. Specs in the tube are not good as you’ve learned :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested again today:

1.52ppm no sand
1.52ppm w/sand

I’m gonna bring it up to 1.75ppm (for cushion room), and then begin my countdown.

For those using the API copper test kit, below is what 1.52 (minimum therapeutic) looks like taken outside (flat on the white part & raised up):

IMG_20180424_135200714.jpg
IMG_20180424_135243926.jpg

This one was taken inside under a white kitchen light:

IMG_20180424_135416608.jpg

The outside pics, especially the one raised up off the white part of the chart, looks most like 1.5ppm to me. o_O

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested again today:

1.52ppm no sand
1.52ppm w/sand

I’m gonna bring it up to 1.75ppm (for cushion room), and then begin my countdown.

For those using the API copper test kit, below is what 1.52 (minimum therapeutic) looks like taken outside (flat on the white part & raised up):

The outside pics, especially the one raised up off the white part of the chart, looks most like 1.5ppm to me. o_O
I can still read the colors on this one better.

upload_2018-4-24_14-37-31.png

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested again today:

1.52ppm no sand
1.52ppm w/sand

@Humblefish

Is 1.75ppm for 30 days what you recommend for chelated copper? Any reason to go lower or higher ever?

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything above 1.5 is okay, the .25 extra is just for padding so you don't dip under.
Yeah thanks, I'm aware of the general guidelines (although anything above 1.5 could mean 30ppm so be careful for people that don't know lol), I was just asking him personally if that's his target and if there would be any reason to shoot for lower or higher for certain species.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thanks, I'm aware of the general guidelines (although anything above 1.5 could mean 30ppm so be careful for people that don't know lol), I was just asking him personally if that's his target and if there would be any reason to shoot for lower or higher for certain species.

For copper sensitive fish like wrasse, puffers, lionfish (if i ever get a puffer or lion fish) I plan on trying to stay on the lower end of 1.5-2, and slowly ramping it up to that level.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ What he said ;)

1.5 - 2.0 ppm is the range you want with chelated copper. So, 1.75 seems like a happy middle ground.

To add to this^^^
I am 24 days into QT with copper power at 1.75ppm-1.8ppm. Fish don't care. I did lose a black leopard. Don't think it was from copper (no way to know for sure). I never actually saw him eat in the 35+ days I have had him. That is the only loss this far. I have a Moorish idol, regal angel, other Wrasse, couple tangs etc. In same batch.

Last edited by a moderator:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back