*COPPERSAFE WARNING* along with Research on Hanna Instruments High Range Copper Checker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanting to throw it out there.. to anyone who had an animal with an adverse experience to a medication. You can, and I think should, file an adverse experience report with the FDA. The form can be submitted electronically. Even non FDA approved products sold as medication can be reported. The page to file these reports is here. https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/ReportaProblem/ucm055305.htm
Having the lot number and expiration date to include is ideal, so if you haven't thrown your bottles away, keep that info.

If manufacturers want to be dismissive of the consumer, the only way to hold them accountable is to flag the problem with an agency who has the power to investigate and do something about it.

Also, I came across this recall of Coppersafe in 2016. I dont remember hearing about it then, but perhaps I overlooked it. https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-articles/mislabeled-aquarium-parasite-treatment-product-recalled-by-fritz.html
Thought it was interesting in light of the issues people are experiencing here.

Happy reefing!

Last edited:

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanting to throw it out there.. to anyone who had an animal with an adverse experience to a medication. You can, and I think should, file an adverse experience report with the FDA. The form can be submitted electronically. Even non FDA approved products sold as medication can be reported. The page to file these reports is here. https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/ReportaProblem/ucm055305.htm
Having the lot number and expiration date to include is ideal, so if you haven't thrown your bottles away, keep that info.

If manufacturers want to be dismissive of the consumer, the only way to hold them accountable is to flag the problem with an agency who has the power to investigate and do something about it.

Also, I came across this recall of Coppersafe in 2016. I dont remember hearing about it then, but perhaps I overlooked it. https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-articles/mislabeled-aquarium-parasite-treatment-product-recalled-by-fritz.html
Thought it was interesting in light of the issues people are experiencing here.

Happy reefing!
Wow, nice catch on that recall notice.

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throwing this out there for those who have a hannah on backorder. Not sure why but they told me it was backordered and when I asked for an eta they said three weeks then the following day I got a shipping notice. It was confusing but in the end it came rather quickly. I wish BRS would start stocking these!

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who are waiting to get one, there is a seller on eBay who just listed them the other day. I ordered one and it came today.
I think we are really close to having everything readily available again!

Hoyhoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally received my Hanna copper meter today. I tested a sample of my QT water (doesed with Coppersafe to achieve just below 2.0ppm) and it was 2.58! The API copper test kit color was showing between 1.5 and 2.

No wonder my poor yellow tang did not make it past day 10 :(
Surprisingly enough though, my leopard wrasse passed the 10 day mark with no issues.

I am switching to copper power from now on! Thanks HotRocks and everyone who participated in this amazing discovery, you made our QT life much easier :D

Copper.jpg

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine Depot indicates the Hanna is in stock. However, when you order one they charge your CC and then send an email telling you it is back ordered.
Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 2.34.38 PM.png

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so excited about this development!

Reading through the entire thread, I had a thought. Now that copper levels can be kept at a consistent level through the entire QT time frame, would a 30 day course be necessary? I thought I read somewhere from @Humblefish the theoretical effective course for copper to treat ick/velvet was 10 days but 30 was recommended due to inability to consistently hold copper at therapeutic levels.

Correct me if my information if off!

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so excited about this development!

Reading through the entire thread, I had a thought. Now that copper levels can be kept at a consistent level through the entire QT time frame, would a 30 day course be necessary? I thought I read somewhere from @Humblefish the theoretical effective course for copper to treat ick/velvet was 10 days but 30 was recommended due to inability to consistently hold copper at therapeutic levels.

Correct me if my information if off!
Copper only kills the theront "free swimming" stage of the parasites. It will not kill the trophonts attached to the fish or the reproductive stages, or tomont stage that attaches to hard surfaces releasing the final free swimming stage that infects fish.

That is the reason it's recommended that you use therapeutic copper for 30 days. If you know your fish are infected you have to allow the cycle to fully complete and the free swimmers die instantly upon release before they can get to a fish.

If you have two complete QT systems you can treat in theraputic copper for 14 days in system one. Then move to system two which has to be completely sterile. This would allow enough time for the parasites to fall off fish and be in the reproductive stages in tank one, thus when you move them you leave all the parasites behind in system one. This would require observation for at least 14 days after transfer. Also you have to be very careful making sure you leave behind the tomonts when transferring, following the rules of TTM. It's basically a combination of TTM and copper.

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper only kills the theront "free swimming" stage of the parasites. It will not kill the trophonts attached to the fish or the reproductive stages, or tomont stage that attaches to hard surfaces releasing the final free swimming stage that infects fish.

That is the reason it's recommended that you use therapeutic copper for 30 days. If you know your fish are infected you have to allow the cycle to fully complete and the free swimmers die instantly upon release before they can get to a fish.

If you have two complete QT systems you can treat in theraputic copper for 14 days in system one. Then move to system two which has to be completely sterile. This would allow enough time for the parasites to fall off fish and be in the reproductive stages in tank one, thus when you move them you leave all the parasites behind in system one. This would require observation for at least 14 days after transfer. Also you have to be very careful making sure you leave behind the tomonts when transferring, following the rules of TTM. It's basically a combination of TTM and copper.
Understood! 30 days remains the standard. :)

Dan Snyder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty impressive on test results, super nice if raising slowly over 5-7 days as you add copper drop for drop it gives you accurate readings, even for your water changes, to make it exact. Super happy, we finally have a great piece of equipment for very important measures.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on a side note has anyone noticed when doing copper treatments wrasses hanging upside down.. i think my copper level is to high.. just changed out 10 gallons on the 50 gallon QT.. i had this happen once in the past where the Copper was to high.. the angel i had in QT was like doing slow spin dance.. i lowered the level and he came back.. fingers crossed.. but cant wait for my Hanna to arrive..

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on a side note has anyone noticed when doing copper treatments wrasses hanging upside down.. i think my copper level is to high.. just changed out 10 gallons on the 50 gallon QT..
What type of Wrasse is it? I have seen some fairy Wrasse do some funny stuff in copper levels that are excessive.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
up fairy wrasse .,. rhomoboid.. all was good two days ago or so.. then i saw a little scratching on another fish.. so i bumped up the copper just a bit.. but it think that little bit was just too much for him. so fingers crossed.. he is like moving his eyes and all but has stopped eating .. and now is lying upside down.. belly up... very weird.. so again.. i pulled some water out and replaced with fresh salt water.. see in a few hours..

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
up fairy wrasse .,. rhomoboid.. all was good two days ago or so.. then i saw a little scratching on another fish.. so i bumped up the copper just a bit.. but it think that little bit was just too much for him. so fingers crossed.. he is like moving his eyes and all but has stopped eating .. and now is lying upside down.. belly up... very weird.. so again.. i pulled some water out and replaced with fresh salt water.. see in a few hours..

Don’t let him stay upside down to long if it was I I would turn him right side up when I happens but don’t stress him to much.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now he is kinda lying on his side..kinds not looking so good right now.... he is struggling more.. bummer is he was doing very well just 3 days ago.. other fish in QT are eating and doing fine.. I have treated other fairy wrasses fine... so hoping ...

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally received my Hanna copper meter today. I tested a sample of my QT water (doesed with Coppersafe to achieve just below 2.0ppm) and it was 2.58! The API copper test kit color was showing between 1.5 and 2.

No wonder my poor yellow tang did not make it past day 10 :(
Surprisingly enough though, my leopard wrasse passed the 10 day mark with no issues.

I am switching to copper power from now on! Thanks HotRocks and everyone who participated in this amazing discovery, you made our QT life much easier :D

Copper.jpg
Yep. Similar experience. API Test looked good. Turned out the QT was at 2.80 ppm using the Hanna. Good on you for taking such good care of your fish. ;)

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a follow up to my QT Experiment:
They all made it to the DT over the weekend! Sorry I am terrible at taking pics of fish. My Achilles is not happy with the new tangs or the Moorish Idol. I got a good pic of him showing his display!
Pretty cool to have success with the MI on my first attempt (He was fat and eating when he arrived so I did not have that hurdle). Full proof that the known sensitive species to copper and QT may not be as sensitive as we thought prior, since the level can be monitored precisely now!

119931.jpeg
120251.jpeg
120241.jpeg
120247.jpeg
120253.jpeg
120243.jpeg
120263.jpeg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 163 73.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 37 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back