Coral banded shark egg hatch

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just going to keep people posted on what I am doing. My LFS got a coral banded shark eggs and I thought I would give it a whirl. I have been doing some research and think I will have a hatching in the next 3 or so weeks.
Today the shark is moving and happy. Has a yolk about this same size as his body mass.(relative to the same size I am guessing).
Got the egg in my sump in the refugium compartment for now. I will start out by using mysis shrimp with other shrimp in a syringe but have halved clams and will be picking up some silversides and squid within the week.

I will keep you posted on any developments and hopefully we will have a clean run!
Let me know if you got any special tips or tricks to help, much appreciated!

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

Looking forward to this! Sharks are great. I wish I had a giant tank for one.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank are you planning on raising the egg once it hatches ?

just checked out your build thread and nothing listed in that build will be enough to house a shark for long after hatching .

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank are you planning on raising the egg once it hatches ?

just checked out your build thread and nothing listed in that build will be enough to house a shark for long after hatching .
I have a 150 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump. I will be upgrading within the year. I have spoken with a couple of local reefers who have kept sharks (one of which has this same shark in a 180 gallon fully grown)

I would like to get a 220+ gallon 8ft tank. The bigger the better. But if I cannot upgrade in time I will pass the shark off to one of my works clients who has the space and room.
I work at a LFS that services a ton of large tanks and many people have sharks. They told me I could get started in the system I have but will need to upgrade by the sharks first birthday.

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully these videos work but here are some videos of the shark in the egg. Moving around(fins) and breathing in the egg.

hope you all enjoy!

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully these videos work but here are some videos of the shark in the egg. Moving around(fins) and breathing in the egg.

hope you all enjoy!

When I picked up the egg today the shark shook itself pretty hard. That it was interesting. Definitely a ton of movement when I am not holding it though.

Crazysharklady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When I picked up the egg today the shark shook itself pretty hard. That it was interesting. Definitely a ton of movement when I am not holding it though.
It looks like you got an air bubble in the egg which could kill the shark. You need to burp the egg, and try not to take ot out of the water.

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you got an air bubble in the egg which could kill the shark. You need to burp the egg, and try not to take ot out of the water.
I already burped it. I was told from the shop that the dealers said to do that. They also showed me how to clean the outside of the egg so I can see inside with just a flashlight so you don’t have to take it out of the water.

I haven’t had it out of water since that first day I got it and I was just making sure everything was all good! Shark is doing fine and is still alive.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update? It's easier to get them feeding in a smaller tank when they first hatch

I was going to say I've never personally kept a shark but have read multiple places the first few days after hatching people keep them in a smallerish tank like a 40 breeder to make sure they eat

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update? It's easier to get them feeding in a smaller tank when they first hatch
So I am within 48 hours of hatching. The shark is so big inside the egg he has curled up and cannot spread out.
The yolk is less than half the size of my pinky nail.
I was speaking with my LFS and they have been taking care of one egg that hatched about 2 weeks ago. They told me their distributor said it’s normal for the shark not to eat for the first 5 days so don’t freak out. Their bodies are still digesting the yolk that is in their system. I have set up a 6 gallon ghost shrimp tank with 25 ghost shrimp that already has a few pregnant shrimp. Those will mature over the next month and hopefully reproduce fast.
I will be using brine shrimp for the first few weeks and then try the ghost shrimp a little later on.

right now he is in my small refugium box on my eshopps sump so I can make sure he is eating and healthy. After the shark is eating really well I will move him up top to the main display. Hopefully we will have a good run!

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am within 48 hours of hatching. The shark is so big inside the egg he has curled up and cannot spread out.
The yolk is less than half the size of my pinky nail.
I was speaking with my LFS and they have been taking care of one egg that hatched about 2 weeks ago. They told me their distributor said it’s normal for the shark not to eat for the first 5 days so don’t freak out. Their bodies are still digesting the yolk that is in their system. I have set up a 6 gallon ghost shrimp tank with 25 ghost shrimp that already has a few pregnant shrimp. Those will mature over the next month and hopefully reproduce fast.
I will be using brine shrimp for the first few weeks and then try the ghost shrimp a little later on.

right now he is in my small refugium box on my eshopps sump so I can make sure he is eating and healthy. After the shark is eating really well I will move him up top to the main display. Hopefully we will have a good run!
best of luck papa!

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this guy still has a tiny tiny bit of egg yolk left but over the past 2.5 days I have been checking it hasn’t changed in size. So I’m not sure what is happening. The shark itself is still moving just a little less than normal because the egg is restricting it. I’m still waiting it out and hoping it will hatch soon.

Jcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may take a week or two for the yolk to be completely gone. I'd wait a few days after it's completely gone to see if he gets out on his own if not I use scissors and cut open one side he should come right out. Post some pics once he hatches! Im waiting for a few to hatch also at the moment

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back