Coral Beauty in a reef - is it worth it?

Your experience with a Coral Beauty in your reef?

• Great - Did little to no damage

Votes: 30 66.7%
  • Did some damage, but nothing lasting or serious

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Destroyed my corals - avoid at all costs!

Votes: 6 13.3%

• Total voters

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think giving it a very wide variety of food is key. Animals target certain foods to hit certain nutritional goals, be that macro or other nutrients. Providing a wide array of food might aid in preventing them from eating coral.
This^^^ feed a consistent diet of one to three things with a Dwarf Angel, its asking for trouble imo. Whether it be pellets , frozen , nori etc....gotta be creative with them. I throw a whole mussel in once in awhile, several different types of Nori, Dulse, etc.... Angels love variety in my experience, love to pick at mature rock as well and you hope they don't get a taste for a prized possession....

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always had an Angel in my tank, usually it was a CB (I loved the flame angels but never saw one for sale at a reasonable price tag). I had leathers, mushrooms, Chilli, Duncan’s, Euphyllia ect… never tried SPS until this tank (Failed due to water being sold so high). No Angel went after them or even came close to nipping. I’ve owned I think 2 CBS and both were just fine and didn’t care about coral. My Angel I own now doesn’t care about coral at all (It’s planktivorous - kind of a clue to which genus it’s in). I don’t think SPS do have a way to know when an Angel is in the tank, I had monti caps, Staghorn, monti digi ect… all of them gave me great PE, and this was with the Angel in the tank. If your tank is 4’ or bigger I think the best Angel out of the “Dwarf” category is the Genicanthus angels. Dwarf takes over a bunch of the angel genera (Paracentropyge, Centropyge, Genicanthus ect…), if you don’t have a big tank but it’s 3’ then Paracentropyge may be a bit better to keep. Centropyge definitely isn’t the best for reef safe angels but any fish will turn against coral or inverts if you don’t feed it enough.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 48 65.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.5%

Back