Coral bleaching likely in Caribbean this year

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
54,877
Reaction score
122,549
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Coral bleaching is likely in the Caribbean in 2010, according to new research. With temperatures above-average all year, NOAA's models show a strong potential for bleaching in the southern and southeastern Caribbean through October that could be as severe as in 2005 when over 80 percent of corals bleached and over 40 percent died at many sites across the Caribbean.

More...
 
I was in DR last month, water was 86deg at depth in many areas, a few area's had some cool water currents passing thru (which you quickly notice). At the time, the reefs were quite healthy and you could see lots of new growth going on, which was a quite different from just the year before. Hopefully its not as bad as projected, it was nice to actually see healthy reefs for a change, my last few trips (I go to the Caribbean at least once a year) the reefs have been in distress.
 
Yea I hope it isn't as bad as predicted.
 
I could be completely wrong here but my hypothesis is it is just a cyclical natural process. Regardless of the cause, be it warmer or cooler temperatures, corals die and it creates the foundation for the new reef. Some where new reefs are being born where in another spot old reefs are dying. Death gives way to new and a more resilient breed that are able to handle the current conditions. Similar to wildfires giving way to new fertile ground for new life.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new