OP
OP
W

Wilkerson.reed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope not for corals. Is it normal output or high output? The coralife fixtures have crappy reflectors on them so they are pretty useless for coral.
What is a good brand and type of light for coral? And where is a good place to get it cost wise.

reid429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you just spent $80 on $10 worth of coral. I wouldn't go to that store. Check out some black box ocean revive or reef breeders for a cheap but good route.

reid429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if your not sure where to get a light then you need to read up on some reef keeping before killing anything else

OP
OP
W

Wilkerson.reed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if your not sure where to get a light then you need to read up on some reef keeping before killing anything else
I was going along with what my LFS was telling me at the time and if you said you wouldn't go in there again, I was asking where to go

reid429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Online is your best bet, local stores are great for corals and some dry goods but your most expensive needs are typically best purchased online somewhere

OP
OP
W

Wilkerson.reed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's one of many many options. Most people will leave it running for a month, but in this particular case I would leave it in for a week and then throw it away. Carbon will release all the toxins it absorbed after awhile.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1452641693.872683.jpg

Could I just put the cartridge in front of the return pump from sump? Or do I have to have it in a filter? I don't really have room for the filter right now and if I could just stick the cartridge in front of the return pump, that would be much easier... Also these should be okay right? They say they run active carbon on the side of the box...
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1452641866.237138.jpg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those cartridges are okay for fresh, but get used up fast in salt. They will help, but will need to be replaced often (maybe more than 1 a week).

What you could do in the mean time is go to the store and get a package of knee high nylons. Go to the petstore and get activated carbon. Probably going to be Black Diamond or similar in a half gallon container (just a bunch of black particles). Put this in one of the nylons, tie the nylon. Rinse under tap water for 20 seconds (get the dust off). Place in the hob if it is still there. Place on a overflow part if that exists. Just not sure what you have done yet.

I have done this many times in smaller or qt setups. Works fine. Then, in a couple weeks, change it out.

martini5788

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^ this. I mentioned the hob and cartridges because a lot of people start with fresh and then move to salt, so if you had some left at the house then that would work in an emergency. But it will get used up very quickly

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is this tank?
How did you cycle it?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back