OP
W

Wilkerson.reed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1452481697.343997.jpg

I'm going to ask if I can get my money back because I paid $80 for coral and it didn't last a day... As soon as I put it in that bag it started leaking that brown liquid... That is what made the water so dirty. what exactly just happened? Some of the brown liquid stuff it leaked got in my tank

reid429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you paid 80 for those 2 corals then that place robbed you. I would never step foot back in there. Both of those corals are typically give away corals from people

martini5788

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon will remove medications and toxins. It absorbs them. Carbon is great to use in an emergency situation that you don't know if there is something toxic in your water. And that is a really fast deterioration, I would assume there is something in the water

OP
OP
W

Wilkerson.reed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you paid 80 for those 2 corals then that place robbed you. I would never step foot back in there. Both of those corals are typically give away corals from people
They also both died as soon as I got them... And they don't refund anything. I know I probably sound crazy but when I put that Kenya tree in that bag of water when I threw it out because I didn't want it to pollute my tank, I could see it leaking that brown liquid stuff... And of course the bag had a hole in it so some of it got in my tank and I retested my levels which I had just tested before I put the coral in the day before (that day ammonia was at 0 and nitrate was a little high but not much I couldn't tell exactly it was between like 10-30, I know that is a big range but it was difficult to tell, nitrates were at 0 and ph was at 8.3) after whatever it was leaked from the coral to my tank, I retested the water and somehow whatever it was spiked both my ammonia and nitrate. Then I called them and they said that my water was probably really dirty. I don't know if it burst or what but it leaked something... I know it's not the best but the water in the bag looks nothing like my tank
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1452572685.393661.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1452572647.573194.jpg

Also, is there a good online place to buy coral and fish?

OP
OP
W

Wilkerson.reed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon will remove medications and toxins. It absorbs them. Carbon is great to use in an emergency situation that you don't know if there is something toxic in your water. And that is a really fast deterioration, I would assume there is something in the water
Okay... Where can you get carbon? And do you just put it in the water? Or how do you use it?

martini5788

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco and petsmart carry it. All fish stores would carry some of it. Do you have a sump? If you have a spare hang on back filter then I would put some in that. You put it in a mesh bag. If you have a sump then I would place the bag in the return pump compartment

OP
OP
W

Wilkerson.reed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco and petsmart carry it. All fish stores would carry some of it. Do you have a sump? If you have a spare hang on back filter then I would put some in that. You put it in a mesh bag. If you have a sump then I would place the bag in the return pump compartment
Yes, I have a sump and do you leave it in there all the time? Or just sometimes?

martini5788

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1452573580.582132.jpg

Is this it?
Yeah that's one of many many options. Most people will leave it running for a month, but in this particular case I would leave it in for a week and then throw it away. Carbon will release all the toxins it absorbed after awhile.

reid429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Save your money from those expensive corals and get you a new light. Also drop that hob filter and get you a sump and overflow of some sort with a skimmer

OP
OP
W

Wilkerson.reed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Save your money from those expensive corals and get you a new light. Also drop that hob filter and get you a sump and overflow of some sort with a skimmer
I do have a sump[emoji23] I do have an HOB filter but that is from when I did freshwater aquariums...

martini5788

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a sump[emoji23] I do have an HOB filter but that is from when I did freshwater aquariums...
I would just hook up the hob filter and put Carbon in there. The inserts for those filters have Carbon. So if you have any left then just use that and then toss it after a week.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back