Coral growing back from the dead.....

Have you ever given up on a coral and have it re-appear unexpectedly?

• Yes

Votes: 105 76.6%
  • No

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • Interesting story - comment

Votes: 4 2.9%

• Total voters

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know know - My polls are long and everyone hates them - but... Theres more - here is another short one - Have you ever had a coral RTN, STN, etc etc etc - other cause of death - which has come back after the fact. I have had a couple of late after a tank mess come back 3-4 years later - so I promise - this is simple. Have you? Its not just a vote - if you have an interesting story - comment:)

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a leather coral - that became about 2 feet in diameter - and dominating my tank. My LFS said - its probably stripping nutrients out. I cut it down - sold it (good profit) - and took the rock out and scrubbed it off. 2 years later - its back - starting literally in a pinpoint - and after 5 months - now is the size of a thimble.

Second - I had an acropora - I thought it was gone - a year later - I found a small colony on my gyre. Just saying

zoajunkie83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i moved a tank from one location to my current house, i do not know if it was a temperature swing or the substrate being mixed around causing all the nasty to circulate through the tank but most of my lps got toasted. i left them be and after months of water changes and time i noticed eyes coming back and after that my colonies started to grow again!

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
NO clue as to why the poll results aren't publicly visible - but 9 people have responded 'yes'. Maybe more should comment:)

Snuggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tore down a tank put a piece of rock in a qt tank. In my basement For 3 years. No light no water changes. Topped it off sporadically. Needed a price of filler rock to place a new coral. So I sawed off a piece from this rock two months later I find two different types of zoas and a ricordia from that tank going strong

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought a high end blasto from macna this year. It was going great for about a month and all off a sudden it basically completely receded. I couldnt see any tissue at all in the skeleton. i was bummed but i kept it low flow and low light. Low and behold a month later i see some neon green down there and ever so slowly its come back. Now its at the same size it was before whatever happened to it. Ive had several favias do this as well but i think they were stung by other corals. WWC captain america i thought was a total goner has come roaring back, also a WWC lemon lime favites bleached and there was nothing left but two weeks later is see some eyes forming and color returning..... i have a forest fire digi that bleached and i hope makes a come back but i think the outlook is bleak on that particular specimen.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tore down a tank put a piece of rock in a qt tank. In my basement For 3 years. No light no water changes. Topped it off sporadically. Needed a price of filler rock to place a new coral. So I sawed off a piece from this rock two months later I find two different types of zoas and a ricordia from that tank going strong
when i bought the tank i have now it was established for some years before. well the old owner carefullly showed me all the rocks the corals were on and what not so when i reset the tank up i wouldnt kill or lose anything. 2 months later i see this odd looking thing emerge partially from the sand. turns out there was a Red and teal St thomas mushroom he forgot to tell me about and it survived buried and god knows what until the sand blew away. now it split and is thriving.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The reason I asked - partially is also because - I also found - a colony of what is either acropora (gone for a year) - or - zoos about 20 of them (I dont think its them) - growing unexpectedly. Will post a picture soon

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The reason I asked - partially is also because - I also found - a colony of what is either acropora (gone for a year) - or - zoos about 20 of them (I dont think its them) - growing unexpectedly. Will post a picture soon
Problem is they are so small - I cant tell - but - if the are the zoa's they are more than 4 years old

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago when a heat wave nuked everything I found a single green striped mushroom on a piece of rock....now I can't stop them from reproducing.

Another mushroom I picked up as a loose frag. I tried mounting it and it just disappeared. I eventually found it hiding attached to a rock.

I tried a purple monti frag a year or so ago. It hasn't done well. I've busted off dead skeleton and remounted it...it still has a little bit of tissue surviving.

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on my third move now...moving from the east coast to Colorado, building our new house. So one more move and we will be home for good. I’m astonished at the things that have come back that I thought were gone for good. Some were sent from Vermont by a guy who turned out to be pretty sketchy...was supposed to keep our corals for us until we got settled here but totally ripped us off. 95% of what I left him with “died” or actually did perish in transport because of his ****** packaging (he owns an aquarium shop so he’s not a newcomer to shipping). Anyway, what did make it out to me in CO was heavily fragged by him but is slowly coming back. BTW his name is Matt Sprague of Green Mountain Corals...do not trust him.

9Trees29gal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Duncan coral "die" after a planaria-induced tank crash. It was obscured by an overgrowth of caulerpa for almost 2 years, and when I finally cleared out the jungle the darn thing put out some tiny green polyps at the heart of each "dead" coralite. They are slowly growing out to normal size, and are starting to bud little tentacles along the edges.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found pieces of a colony growing after the main colony died. I would not consider that as coming back from the dead but rather some half dead bits broke off and landed in a favorable spot.

8ptspike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know know - My polls are long and everyone hates them - but... Theres more - here is another short one - Have you ever had a coral RTN, STN, etc etc etc - other cause of death - which has come back after the fact. I have had a couple of late after a tank mess come back 3-4 years later - so I promise - this is simple. Have you? Its not just a vote - if you have an interesting story - comment:)
I had a dendrophyllia that a Flame Ange “killed”. I kept it around hoping it would come back and it never did. After 6 month my wife said, “Just throw it away”. I threw the “rock” in my refugium. A month later I swore I saw some life. By 3 months it was bigger than it had ever been and had popped out a few new heads. It was getting fat off of copepods.

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new lemon peel took out my green metallic trachy I too put what was left in the sump thinking it was a goner but about a week later I noticed at nite feeding tentacles were out he’s coming back.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back