Coral ID (LPS)

  • Thread starter Thread starter mpw213
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mpw213

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 28, 2025
Messages
171
Reaction score
143
Location
Cleveland
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought this coral thinking it’s an Aussie gold torch but could it be a long tentacle plate coral? I think it looks great regardless but now I’m curious

20251213_234521_B86C9298-3099-44F9-9859-2FA4BBCDDEB6.png

20251213_234521_B6A38E29-5B12-4282-8B6F-04A5FAFEC10C.png

20251213_234557_328278C8-3AE6-438F-AA07-D380B92B79E8.png
 
I recently bought this coral thinking it’s an Aussie gold torch but could it be a long tentacle plate coral? I think it looks great regardless but now I’m curious

20251213_234521_B86C9298-3099-44F9-9859-2FA4BBCDDEB6.png

20251213_234521_B6A38E29-5B12-4282-8B6F-04A5FAFEC10C.png

20251213_234557_328278C8-3AE6-438F-AA07-D380B92B79E8.png
That looks like a Cristata Torch - they’re a short stemmed torch, often quite stubby but large.
Possibly an ‘ultra 24k’ cristata (Sometimes sold as a variation to the Tiger Torches…).
 
Yes I would say that is a plate not a torch. Nice one but I hear they can be tricky!
Ah ok thanks! I hope it’s a torch because I think a plate would get way wider. And the tough part isn’t great either lol. At least the color is nice
 
I recently bought this coral thinking it’s an Aussie gold torch but could it be a long tentacle plate coral? I think it looks great regardless but now I’m curious

20251213_234521_B86C9298-3099-44F9-9859-2FA4BBCDDEB6.png

20251213_234521_B6A38E29-5B12-4282-8B6F-04A5FAFEC10C.png

20251213_234557_328278C8-3AE6-438F-AA07-D380B92B79E8.png
That looks like a Cristata Torch - they’re a short stemmed torch, often quite stubby but large.
Possibly an ‘ultra 24k’ cristata (Sometimes sold as a variation to the Tiger Torches…).
I’d be ok with that! Actually was looking for them online because I wanted a shorter tentacle torch for my tank bc it’s so small, but they were hard to find or crazy expensive. I got this one through a friend who got it at a frag show. It was sold as a torch but didn’t know what kind
 
If it was a long tentacle plate it wouldn't be glued down. Heliofungia are free-living.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 28 29.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new