OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a thread about here a few days ago. Silversides and krill was recommended. I’ve tried feeding it everything but the tentacles aren’t sticky and it doesn’t seem to take in food. The mouth is gaping but nothing goes inside. So I’m waiting awhile to feed it.
I will look for your thread. Thank you.

Boston reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this one survives and grows. The seller said he had it a year and it never grew so hoping I first get it to live and then thrive. Fingers crossed and research continues!
Try feeding it a mix of pellet and frozen foods. I’m pretty sure they like to be fed every 2/3 days. Try pellet then a couple days later frozen via a turkey baster and go back and forth. wishing you luck!

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seller told me he target fed it or broadcast powdered coral foods, so that is what I have been doing and last night I gave it some mysis. I will try the krill. Thanks.
With such a large mouth and being NPS, I would assume meatier foods would be better.

OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try feeding it a mix of pellet and frozen foods. I’m pretty sure they like to be fed every 2/3 days. Try pellet then a couple days later frozen via a turkey baster and go back and forth. wishing you luck!
That’s a great idea! Thank you, I will do that.

OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With such a large mouth and being NPS, I would assume meatier foods would be better.
That makes sense. I gave it mysis last night. Today I gave it LPS pellets with the Julian Sprung feeder and then powder broadcasted. I need to check how sticky the tentacles are. Maybe I will place a pice of krill to see.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense. I gave it mysis last night. Today I gave it LPS pellets with the Julian Sprung feeder and then powder broadcasted. I need to check how sticky the tentacles are. Maybe I will place a pice of krill to see.
I’m going to try some clams I have in the freezer later. If successful, I’ll let you know.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It did look different at the show than today in my tank. I have fed it 3 times today but the feeder tentacles stay out all the time. Yesterday when I purchased it the tentacles were not out at all and the color was amazing. I hope mine isn’t dying...I will test my parameters tomorrow. All the other corals in the tank sure doing great so not sure that is the problem.
2-3x week is adequate. 3x in one day is a bit much

OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put some krill in the tentacles and they are sticky. Looks like it wants to eat! Now I just need to get the color back to what is was...a gorgeous magenta color.

LisaAP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is. ;) I'm glad to hear that this coral is doing much better now. I would love to see a new photo.

I have a Balanophyllia that looks a lot like this one. When I first introduced it it looked fabulous but over the course of 6 months it gradually faltered despite me feeding it more (or less) with slower/higher flow etc. No matter what I tried the flesh kept receding at the base. I was so close to throwing in the towel with it but decided to moved it to the sump instead. It struggled down there for at least another 6 months. Sometimes I would not feed it for weeks but still it hung on. At its worst it only had half a mouth left but eventually for some reason it began to pick up again and regrow, why? I honestly have no idea. My pet theory was that it had a bacterial infection but that's just a feeling.

Anyway I've had it almost 3 years and it looks great again now, in fact I've just moved it to a new tank and given it pride of place at the front. One thing I will say is that it's not as vibrant as when I first got it. I've tried numerous different foods but I can't get it to regain the original colouration. Something must be missing from its diet I guess, I'm just happy that it's still alive. :)

When it was first added (June 2017):

Balano300617i.jpg

October 2019:

Balano301019.png

I must get an updated photo soon.

Dr. Jeffles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second what LisaAP said. I think what you have is Balanophyllia.

I bought mine too from a LFS and thought I had gotten a steal on a rhizo!

Still an awesome coral, I feed mine silverside heads since my fish aren't really into them.

signal-2020-01-28-193825.jpg

OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is. ;) I'm glad to hear that this coral is doing much better now. I would love to see a new photo.

I have a Balanophyllia that looks a lot like this one. When I first introduced it it looked fabulous but over the course of 6 months it gradually faltered despite me feeding it more (or less) with slower/higher flow etc. No matter what I tried the flesh kept receding at the base. I was so close to throwing in the towel with it but decided to moved it to the sump instead. It struggled down there for at least another 6 months. Sometimes I would not feed it for weeks but still it hung on. At its worst it only had half a mouth left but eventually for some reason it began to pick up again and regrow, why? I honestly have no idea. My pet theory was that it had a bacterial infection but that's just a feeling.

Anyway I've had it almost 3 years and it looks great again now, in fact I've just moved it to a new tank and given it pride of place at the front. One thing I will say is that it's not as vibrant as when I first got it. I've tried numerous different foods but I can't get it to regain the original colouration. Something must be missing from its diet I guess, I'm just happy that it's still alive. :)

When it was first added (June 2017):

Balano300617i.jpg

October 2019:

Balano301019.png

I must get an updated photo soon.
Yours looks great! I think you are right about it needing something we don’t know it needs. Mine is extending more tenticles and looking healthier. I feed it mysis and also a silverside piece or head every other day.

OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second what LisaAP said. I think what you have is Balanophyllia.

I bought mine too from a LFS and thought I had gotten a steal on a rhizo!

Still an awesome coral, I feed mine silverside heads since my fish aren't really into them.

signal-2020-01-28-193825.jpg
Yes they do like silversides and engulf the entire head if given one! I also still blast it with some mysis and it enjoys that too!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back