Coral ID

SM37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello everyone, so I was just given this little coral by parents and they have no idea what it is? If I could get an id that would be great. I just dipped it and put in the tank tonight, so it’s probably a little mad atm. They also had it really high in their tank and it was not opening.
Thanks in advance!

IMG_4689.jpeg

OP
OP
S

SM37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, that’s what I thought it was. I’ve been looking them up and the care for them, do you think they should do fine in the lower light, and some gentle flow.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gonipora
Here today, Goni tomorrow. Poora me.
Very challenging corals, best I’ve done is 6 ish months.
Some say easy.
Yeah I have historically have trouble keeping these guys happy. I have one green/blue one doing OK at the moment in med light and low to med flow. But I am far from an expert on these corals. I have heard that amino acids help these corals. . . I just started dosing aminos again so we shall see

OP
OP
S

SM37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I’ve been reading. It was a free coral so I’ll give it my best! I was able to nurse a giant Duncan colony back to health this last month that my parents also gave me, so hopefully I may be able to get these little dudes to open up. I did read they liked the aminos so I dosed a little fuel tonight. I also read that they like a more nutrient rich tank. I’ll have to try target feeding them a little reef Roids later this week before my water change. I usually use a small amount the night before a water change.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be patient. I’ve bought goni that arrived like that and it took 2 weeks to open. Others took 3-4 days. Once they are happy they are very nice looking corals

All these were corals I ordered, shipped to me standard overnight shipping. The rainbow one took about a 2 weeks to START to open, and then another 2 weeks before it started to extend like this

The green one is a rescue from another tank of mine, the base became covered in hair algae, I had to spot treat with h2o2…an I transferred to another tank while I get my nano under control. it’s been about a week and is just starting to extend again

The purple one was open within 3 days of arrival

Attachments

• 8AAFDFF1-3973-4005-B3F6-565C00501B08.png
    8AAFDFF1-3973-4005-B3F6-565C00501B08.png
    886.3 KB · Views: 40
  • F729FAE3-4841-4DFB-BF14-1E8C3FA10428.jpeg
    F729FAE3-4841-4DFB-BF14-1E8C3FA10428.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 53BE7953-FBCB-45F6-97BB-C68E43C435B8.jpeg
    53BE7953-FBCB-45F6-97BB-C68E43C435B8.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
S

SM37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be patient. I’ve bought goni that arrived like that and it took 2 weeks to open. Others took 3-4 days. Once they are happy they are very nice looking corals

All these were corals I ordered, shipped to me standard overnight shipping. The rainbow one took about a 2 weeks to START to open, and then another 2 weeks before it started to extend like this

The green one is a rescue from another tank of mine, the base became covered in hair algae, I had to spot treat with h2o2…an I transferred to another tank while I get my nano under control. it’s been about a week and is just starting to extend again

The purple one was open within 3 days of arrival
Fantastic! I did pull some algae off and very very gently scrubbed the bottom edge clean of algae. I’m excited to try and get it to open! I will just have to be patient. Your rainbow one is absolutely gorgeous!

OP
OP
S

SM37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! It’s a stunner for sure! All Of them I find like the same conditions - I would suggest mid tank height, medium light, and low to medium flow.
do you think I should light acclimate it still before moving it to mid tank? It's going from the top of my parents reef, dead center under their hydra 32. I have an prime16 about 9ish inches from the water and they are at the bottom of my tank next to my Duncan’s(those are doing fantastic) I suppose I just wait and see as well.
I do not have a par meter tho. :/ I have to find a place and rent one.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it open in your parents tank? If not I would say we don’t need to light acclimate, treat as a new addition and place in mid lighting conditions

Also what did you dip in and how did you dip? These can be sensitive corals

But, I am not as experienced as other goni owners. I just know what works for me. I can tag @steveschuerger for ya maybe he can look at the pic and chime in with some advice

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s either an unhappy Goni or maybe an Alveopora. Hard to tell as the have similar skeletons. Am leaning towards Goni.

OP
OP
S

SM37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was not open in their tank. I can grab a couple pictures in the morning of the whole tank, if that would help! I do appreciate the help!

OP
OP
S

SM37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it open in your parents tank? If not I would say we don’t need to light acclimate, treat as a new addition and place in mid lighting conditions

Also what did you dip in and how did you dip? These can be sensitive corals

But, I am not as experienced as other goni owners. I just know what works for me. I can tag @steveschuerger for ya maybe he can look at the pic and chime in with some advice
I used coral rx and let it sit for 5 minutes with some light movement then rinsed it off in a little tank water and put it in. I think I may try moving it up a little tomorrow morning and wait and see what happens!

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to try keeping it in low par as possible for now but keep it in moderate flow as to keep it free of detritus . Ive had a couple Gonis go full turtle for around a month then come out of it.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello everyone, so I was just given this little coral by parents and they have no idea what it is? If I could get an id that would be great. I just dipped it and put in the tank tonight, so it’s probably a little mad atm. They also had it really high in their tank and it was not opening.
Thanks in advance!

IMG_4689.jpeg
Best thing with gonis is they prefer dirty water. I’ve had them thrive in a more thoroughly stocked system (all flowerpots seem to thrive in my SPS display - I’ve yet to try them in my 4’ display). I keep dirtier water than recommended in my SPS display personally but I’ve yet to see any ill consequences from it.

Here’s my flowerpots (one is still being questioned). The browned out flowerpot was only added yesterday and already has some great extension. The Gearstick Alveopora had been in the system for 3 days now and is also conpletely extended.
IMG_8434.jpeg

image.jpg

OP
OP
S

SM37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to try keeping it in low par as possible for now but keep it in moderate flow as to keep it free of detritus . Ive had a couple Gonis go full turtle for around a month then come out of it.
Good to know! I did notice the center of the skeleton was starting to look a little lighter in color. So maybe it’s a little bleached as well or was starting too.

OP
OP
S

SM37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the tank and rockscape. Sorry for the reflection.

Attachments

• IMG_4692.jpeg
    IMG_4692.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 36

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! I did notice the center of the skeleton was starting to look a little lighter in color. So maybe it’s a little bleached as well or was starting too.
That could be a few things, one is rececession where the tissue has died back, could also just be very closed up or bleaching like you mentioned. A photo would help of the individual spot

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back