Coral ID

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,
Got a Zoa frag that came with a “hanger”. When I removed the hanger I noticed there are some small polyps on it, so I placed it on a different part of the rock. Week later it started to grow, and with Zoas came some weird soft red looking thing. Can someone ID it please?
6EFF7B7C-A158-429B-A89A-977310D464B0.jpeg
B40372E4-FCA8-4076-8B81-E4AC87CC34B5.jpeg
19FDF2B2-DFD3-4635-9A94-522DEFF879C5.jpeg
01FDEF86-AB4E-46F5-938B-C8B6B7AAB8F7.jpeg

Thanks

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a red discosoma mushroom
I just got a couple of more pictures, it did quite a bit of growth in the last week.
basically, I am wondering how to remove it from there and place it somewhere else? it seems to have a soft zoa-like "body" and a large head. if I separate the body from the rock with a razor can I glue it somewhere else? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4861.jpeg
    IMG_4861.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4863.jpeg
    IMG_4863.jpeg
    178.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4864.jpeg
    IMG_4864.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4871.jpeg
    IMG_4871.jpeg
    210.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4872.jpeg
    IMG_4872.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can get stems on them and reach. I would guess red discosoma also.
I just posted a couple of new pictures as it is growing quite fast ( there is actually 2 of them). Can I separate if from the rock and place elsewhere? Thanks

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not easy to move as they will detach and move on their own.

If you want them moved though, gently pry them off the rock or cut them off (cutting part of the rock also). Then move them to a small dish of rubble so they can attach to a piece. After they attach, you can move them and glue them in place by the rubble they attached to.

Be careful on removing them as they will turn into mush of you have to work to hard to remove.
Good luck!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a couple of more pictures, it did quite a bit of growth in the last week.
basically, I am wondering how to remove it from there and place it somewhere else? it seems to have a soft zoa-like "body" and a large head. if I separate the body from the rock with a razor can I glue it somewhere else? Thanks
Honestly, you're more likely to kill it than be successful in moving them from where they are. Mushrooms are anemones and will move on their own if they want to. I don't know if it will work in your situation, but your best bet is to try to cut off the piece of rock they are attached to and place it in a new spot. You cannot actually glue mushrooms as their foot is going to produce mucus and will keep the glue from working (or even if it sets, they will move off the glue).

Is there a reason you want to move them?

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, you're more likely to kill it than be successful in moving them from where they are. Mushrooms are anemones and will move on their own if they want to. I don't know if it will work in your situation, but your best bet is to try to cut off the piece of rock they are attached to and place it in a new spot. You cannot actually glue mushrooms as their foot is going to produce mucus and will keep the glue from working (or even if it sets, they will move off the glue).

Is there a reason you want to move them?
Sadly it came with a frag of Zoas (as a hitchhiker). Now the frag plug had plastic hook, on which couple of Zoas were, so I glued that hook onto the rock in hopes to save those Zoas . And it worked but then this mushroom started growing and even now it covers of of the Zoas, if I don’t move it it will grow over all of them and kill them

Brucealmighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never underestimate the power of the zoanthids vs mushrooms or maybe I was lucky / unlucky :winking-face: spot the red mushroom being swamped by the zoanthids and the greens don't fare much better
Screenshot_20220529_213202_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back