Coral on a snail

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible for a coral to grow on the shell of a snail?
I've seen a snail that had two zoanthids growing on it. But i'm sure green star polyps, or xenia or any soft coral would be able to. Not recommended to do intentionally though.

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible, but difficult. Snails tend to hide during the day (light) so the coral may have difficulty getting the lighting it needs. Also my snails no matter how large seem to fit into tight spaces, so you have a good chance it will get knocked off or damaged.

What are you planning as you read my response :) I know you planning something I can feel it o_O

OP
OP
M

Maine Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It certainly would. G.s.p would. Its probably borderline cruel to glue coral to a snail.
I wasn't doing anything like that. I just wanted to see if it was possible for something to grow on its shell because I see something that resembles coral on one of my snail's shells.

OP
OP
M

Maine Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible, but difficult. Snails tend to hide during the day (light) so the coral may have difficulty getting the lighting it needs. Also my snails no matter how large seem to fit into tight spaces, so you have a good chance it will get knocked off or damaged.

What are you planning as you read my response :) I know you planning something I can feel it o_O
Not planning anything.

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe y’all will find this interesting. My urchin has been carrying this colony around for almost a year now. It started as three polyps when he first picked it up.

My thoughts are the lower light corals would do just fine being carried around the tank. :)

941E5408-938F-4938-B2B4-BD929D63AADD.jpeg

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe y’all will find this interesting. My urchin has been carrying this colony around for almost a year now. It started as three polyps when he first picked it up.

My thoughts are the lower light corals would do just fine being carried around the tank. :)

941E5408-938F-4938-B2B4-BD929D63AADD.jpeg
Coral on Inverts is so cool, I would love to see a dedicated Symbiotic Aquarium

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some green pocillipora growing on the shell of one of my snails. I didn't do it on purpose, pocillipora just likes to replicate itself all over my tank. Guess one of the spores landed on my snail
Pocillipora uses polyp bailout as a successful method of reproduction.

mwil79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a snail with a massive Kenya tree on his back but he is no longer with us. May his soul rest in peace mobile aqua forest.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back