OP
right4ngle

right4ngle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help figuring out what kind of coral this is it’s all black and at my local fish store where I bought it said it was a candy cane but I searched all over and couldn’t find an answer anyone know?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 63
Upvote 0

Taylor810

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the consensus is that it's a black sun coral, and it was sold to you as a candy cane, id bring it back for a refund.

That is a significant difference, not only in terms of cost but also, as people have explained, in terms of how you care for it. If it is a sun coral, it is non-photosynthetic. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense why a non-photosynthetic coral would be called a sun coral, but I digress.

This would be like adopting a dog, thinking you understood how to take care of it, but when you get home you learn that the dog is diabetic and has an expensive custom diet that the seller neglected to mention. If you are okay with the extra care associated with feeding a coral, go for it. But nothing wrong with taking it back, especially if it was sold to you as a completely different species...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
right4ngle

right4ngle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s a black sun coral it is non photosynthetic so you’ll want to feed it clam, mussel, shrimp, maybe put some reef roids in. It doesn’t get food from light like most corals.
So I found out it is a black sun coral do you know if it is in any way toxic/venomous?

Upvote 0

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found out it is a black sun coral do you know if it is in any way toxic/venomous?
No, But I still wouldn’t advise eating it or anything XD even if it was toxic like zoanthids or palythoas, instances where people are harmed are very very rare

Upvote 0

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 38 27.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 28 20.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 33 23.7%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 37 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back