OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx man, couldnt have figured this out without your exp advise. Fingers crossed everything but the pest come out alive, so much stress!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx man, couldnt have figured this out without your exp advise. Fingers crossed everything but the pest come out alive, so much stress!
it will be fine. two months from now you'll be bored and jaded...

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, werent u the one saltyfilmfolks complaining about the stress of new arrivals thus no new impulse buys. Anyway, it arrived i did my 4 part dip and rinse w nothing coming off after the peroxide. Looks good so far, only saw a few worms (hard to see thru the bayers), seemed a few pests didnt like the peroxide also a red worm came off during that dip. The good thing was i was able to get zoas/palys, candy cane and blastos off original plug (all except one zoa group as it was growing on top the plug) before the bayers dip. Gave them a couple hrs, turned on actinics in qt tank and all of them are opening--so far no casualties all thx to u bro. Will at aqua sd was surprised when i told him i dipped it for 10 min tho--said that a bit too long. Told him i watched brs youtube the recommended 15 min of 160 ml for 1 gallon water. Plus i trusted ur 10 m method. Thx again, yay new frags.

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pic, sry the blue is bleeding a bit on crappy ipad camera. The 1st is sunny ds, 2nd pink and gold (he calls them nuclear meltdowns), 3rd bam bams, 4th utter chaos, 5th blasto wellsi, 6th candy cane, 7th blasto merlettis, and one freebie mushroom or ricordea. That was the only disappointing thing he usually throws in 3 or 4 freebies, but i only got one w a pretty expensive order .

IMG_0804.JPG

IMG_0805.JPG

IMG_0803.JPG

IMG_0807.JPG

IMG_0802.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0810.JPG

IMG_0155.JPG

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAha I'm glad it went well!
Grab some pics in the am if ya can!

sithrico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx, i have my containers ready with slight modifications:
1) float and drip corals (all containers except 1st and 3rd container w 50 new saltwater/50 tank water ratio)--wear gloves, eye protection, and mask
2) container #1 1 gallon saltwater w 160 mili of bayers (10 min)--placing corals in strainer to rinse in and out
3) container #2 1 gallon saltwater rinse w baster (15 min)--change gloves after placing frags into container #2
4) container #3 1 gallon saltwater w peroxide 8-1 ratio (10 min)
5) container #4 1 gallon saltwater w baster (last rinse to get rid of bayers and peroxide) (15 min)
6) qt tank 2 weeks (after 1st week, do a 10 min dip of coral rx)
7) day 15 last inspection and frags go into dt

Does this look like a good plan?
I like this may try it myself. I use Bayer because like someone else said it. It seems like Coral RX just makes you feel good cause you used it. What kind of peroxide do you use. I've never used peroxide before and now interested that it can remove algae.

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read it in other posts and salty confirmed it, its the regular hydrogen peroxide 3% u get at the local drugstore. Mix tank water and peroxide--salty uses a 10 to 1 ratio, i used a 8 to 1 for 10 min. Ive seen others use as high as 4 to 1 and 50/50 for 5 mins. Its works on those hard to get algae like in between zoa polpys or at the root of zoa mat. Personally 50/50 seems a bit extreme. Everyone who mentioned this method tho, always argue that their zoa/palys look brighter than ever. Cant say, cause this was a new shipment so i had no point of reference lol.

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey saw this in my main tank, not new new frags, looks like a blackish-brownish worm w white dots and it just cruising on my blue hornets eating crap and algae i guess, not harming any of my zoas yet. Does it look like a bad pest or just normal detritus scavenger. Its where the zoa mat touches the frag on left polyp and the. It moves in between 2 polyps.

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0801.JPG

IMG_0803.JPG

IMG_0806.JPG

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really cant se it well. ALmost looks like a brittlestar arm

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae really just quarantine with a nice cleanup crew and then transfer the frag to a new plug. I havent actively dipped for algae though.
That's the 2 steps most folks forget. QT and remove rock or plug. IMO. Its not always possible to remove it so I think its wise to treat them differently. Esp if you like colonies

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Saltyfilmfolks,
Here are the new additions in daylights, no actinics so the insane colors arent showing but it gives u an idea.
1) blue wowzers, normal name is mind blowing palys i believe
2) sunny ds and bam bams in background
3) utter chaos--just started to open up from the stress of dips i think
4) nuclear meltdowns, normal name is either constantines or rainbow sakuras
5) blasto wellsi colony (not sure of name) and my 1st candy cane ever!
6) blasto merletti (not sure of name)

IMG_0889.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG

IMG_0891.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG

IMG_0893.JPG

IMG_0894.JPG

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also got a freebie which was a rhodactis but im not sure i want to keep it as i had mushrooms in the past and they took over the tank smothering my zoas. In a 28 g nano, they can take over quick!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent! The merlettis are a favorite of mine. I had a 5g nano for a few years the would just grow them like weeds. No Idea why. The ones I have now in this tank just don't. weird.

oh and to tag mad add a @ @saltyfilmfolks

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much lighting u have on ur merlettis? Ive heard mixed things on lighting care--some say medium light and other say indirect low light. The blastos sure suck up the calcium, i dose daily manually about 5 ml of seachem fusion 1 and 2 and my cal lvl was 440 to 460, ever since they went in the tank i can barely maintain 360-400.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much lighting u have on ur merlettis? Ive heard mixed things on lighting care--some say medium light and other say indirect low light. The blastos sure suck up the calcium, i dose daily manually about 5 ml of seachem fusion 1 and 2 and my cal lvl was 440 to 460, ever since they went in the tank i can barely maintain 360-400.
Don't sweat the light. I had it under the cheapest dimmest ting yo can imagine but worse and it grew great. I have it under reall nice kinda bright light now and it's growing great.
And yea small tank. Really odd the free so well for me in that lil tank. I never dosed and barely did water changes. It makes no sense why it did so well.

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a good thing i qt the corals, found an aiptasia on my red blasto/green center wellsi and on the rock w the rhodactis. So i aiptasia rx the aiptasia on the blasto skeleton(melted) and then cut the rhodactis off the rock (threw the rock away) and scrunched it w a fresh rubble rock and it stuck to it already. So hopefully no spores but i did a major water change on the qt tank for extra measure. Back to observation time--man new frags are such a hassle. Btw good to know on the lighting for blastos--want to get it acclimated to at least the center--bottom of my tank--par shouldnt be too back since my leds are 28 w at 18 inches--should be okay right?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back