Coral rx or bayers method for new corals

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone,
Normally i use coral rx and qt tank for a week to check for any leftover pests. This has been successful with zoas and palys (which is all i buy). However getting new stuff including candy cane and blastos from aqua sd. Ive heard bayers is great method for pests but i wanted ur input and recommendations on the merits of using either bayers vs coral rx. Bayers sounds a bit nuclear to me and unsafe w residue. Thx.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If You're going into qt either is fine IMO. with bayer I use a 3 stage, dip, rinse, rinse. Bayer is not effective on algaes at all however. you could add the in one of the last rinses too or peroxide..

FWIW, IME it takes 8 to 15 days for nudi eggs to hatch. Might want to qt those guys a lil longer as neither(no) dip works on the eggs.

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the input and advice on the qt period. Btw i watched and read videos and articles regarding bayers--have u lost any frags from using bayers dip? Also do in one of the rinses ive seen people mention freshwater like a second or 2 to dislodge the bayers easier. If it is not too much trouble could u detail the steps u used. I also heard about using the peroxide for zoas/palys--will this be okay for candy canes and blastos. Again appreciate the help.

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to add this would be 1st time using bayers as ive always use coral rx before. Thx

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-have u lost any frags from using bayers dip?
no.
Also do in one of the rinses ive seen people mention freshwater like a second or 2 to dislodge the bayers easier.
imo, no, fresh water you risk shocking the coral unless you buffer it.
I also heard about using the peroxide for zoas/palys--will this be okay for candy canes and blastos. Again appreciate the help.
sure, I've heard is about zoas some chalices and montis but I dont know what the concentration used was, that's prob the big mistake imo .

I'M super paranoid about bayer, I have mandrins and pipes so I need my pods and didnt have a qt back when.

I have 3 costo 2 liter containers and 3 old sun sun($8) powerheads. fill em half way.
K, if im using bayer I do a water change and use tank water, acclimate the frags to the tank water. add bayer to #1 and let sit for 10min, set in #2 then#3. I actually take the coral out of 3 and inspect for bugs at that point. If your doing a lot of frags, change the water in the rinse. I add a 10 to 1 peroxide in the last rinse(its reef safe)

I dont impulse buy corals much nowadays, you can see why, its work..

But most folks who recommend and use a coral qt do as you say, and observe and re dip, thats the most effective. Also IMO, the QT is there to be nuked. If I got flatworms, I can dump flatworm exit, interceptor in it. etc

coral RX, peroxide, revive are much more gentle and small amounts actually wont nuke a display btw.

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx i appreciate the info, for rinse #2 and #3, are those 10 min also? K, 10 to 1 on peroxide and that was strong enough for hair algae? Ive seen 4 to 1 ration also. So if i dip them but i cant remove the plugs, will the bayers release from plugs later? If i qt then my carbon should rid of any remaining bayer before it goes in qt tank right? Just worried cause some frags are stuck to those plugs like zoas. Really appreciate your help, much appreciate u taking ur time w this lps noob lol

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are those 10 min also
yup or more, depends on the ambient temp.
10 to 1 on peroxide and that was strong enough for hair algae?
yes, I get chicken with more and have made stuff real mad.
So if i dip them but i cant remove the plugs, will the bayers release from plugs later?
yes. rinse good, and def google how to dip in bayer.
If i qt then my carbon should rid of any remaining bayer before it goes in qt tank right?
yea and it oxidises too.
taking ur time w this lps noob lol
lol, been there. And Fwiw Will at ASD is good looking and dips the heck out of the corals. Smells like heck when he does. Like angry corals.

And Bayer may not be for you. its your choice. the other method of dipping are actually very effective with qt.

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah trust Will at aquasd, i do notice he recent stuffs got alot of algae and sometimes the bad ones like the grape bubble algae

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah trust Will at aquasd, i do notice he recent stuffs got alot of algae and sometimes the bad ones like the grape bubble algae
ew, thats no good. ya def dont want that.
I feel for the folks only using bayer.

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dipped in normal and very concentrated Bauer using several internet suggestions and still have seen things moving around and alive. Bauer seems to just stun some of the tougher Nasty bugs out there. The key is to blast the stunned bugs off the coral. Quaritine for eggs and stragglers is recommended.

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah gotta go get myself a turkey baster, so i dont tick off the wife using ours lol. Havent tried the revive, although ive had success w the coral rx but thats cause ive only had zoas and palys, no lps or sps. From what ive read the really nasty stuff attaches to lps and sps.

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill definitely follow the recommended steps u listed saltedfilmfolks and use the peroxide in the last rinse and extend my qt period to 2 weeks. do blastos and candy canes usually have the nasty hitchhikers or is it mostly the sps stuff.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill definitely follow the recommended steps u listed saltedfilmfolks and use the peroxide in the last rinse and extend my qt period to 2 weeks. do blastos and candy canes usually have the nasty hitchhikers or is it mostly the sps stuff.

It's everything my friend. Some feed on the coral and hang out on them some feed off other stuff but lives in the rock it came in in. Some sps should be easier in theory as they're smooth skinned when you look at them. I highly reccomend a magnifier to inspect coral. Look for 20x.

A lot of people avoid colonies for this reason. As the come in on live rock. But man I'm a total sucker for those. The really hard part is keeping the good hitch hikers and killing the bad.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more and more I study the REAL nasties, like AEFW, the more I realize that they are more than likely to slip by in most quarantine scenarios. Primarily if the AEFW present are juveniles. They are also invisible when feeding, so visual detection is almost near impossible. They only become visible as large adults, (by then they have laid many generations worth of eggs, which they hide) and only leave "bite marks" when they are laying eggs.

They go from embryo, to larvae, undergo their transformation to juvenile all inside the egg! They are also nearly indestructable while in the egg. Oh yeah, and there is on average of 5 embryos per egg. So when they hatch they are ready to feed and grow. It takes 15 days for them to mature to sexual maturity and begin egg laying of which AEFW lay 20-40 eggs at a time. Yielding 100-200 individuals. So 10 AEFW become 1000, 1000, become 100,000 etc. :eek:

So even if you keep your coral in QT for 15 days, it's no guarantee that you will see any evidence of AEFW. In fact particularly if only a single planaria slips by you dipping protocols then any damage caused by it laying eggs, might very well go unnoticed for quite a long time and make it into the display.

For all intensive purposes these creatures are worthy of our admiration, it's such a shame that they are so absolutely devastating. I mean an animal that can become invisible is pretty impressive.

I'm not sure I've heard anyone's qt methodology that I think is adequate to prevent AEFW introduction.

There are other's too, as well as ones that aren't described.

Coral buying is stressful and not much fun in my opinion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, especially the way u put it. I think im slowly dying inside from the anticipation of see my new zoas and lps, but not the nightmare pests.

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Saltyfilmfolks,
Last question on ur dip method, for the last container #3 w peroxide--i know its used for zoas and palys--is this safe for blastos and candy canes or should i have a 4th container minus the peroxide just for those. I havent seen a thread on peroxide dip for lps

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Saltyfilmfolks,
Last question on ur dip method, for the last container #3 w peroxide--i know its used for zoas and palys--is this safe for blastos and candy canes or should i have a 4th container minus the peroxide just for those. I havent seen a thread on peroxide dip for lps
yup it is fine as far as I know and have seen.

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx, i have my containers ready with slight modifications:
1) float and drip corals (all containers except 1st and 3rd container w 50 new saltwater/50 tank water ratio)--wear gloves, eye protection, and mask
2) container #1 1 gallon saltwater w 160 mili of bayers (10 min)--placing corals in strainer to rinse in and out
3) container #2 1 gallon saltwater rinse w baster (15 min)--change gloves after placing frags into container #2
4) container #3 1 gallon saltwater w peroxide 8-1 ratio (10 min)
5) container #4 1 gallon saltwater w baster (last rinse to get rid of bayers and peroxide) (15 min)
6) qt tank 2 weeks (after 1st week, do a 10 min dip of coral rx)
7) day 15 last inspection and frags go into dt

Does this look like a good plan?

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 27 14.2%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 50.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back