Coralline algae introduction

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the ARC stuff - nothing has really happened but I am battling Dinos. I did get spots - but R2R confirmed it’s just cyano not coraline [emoji849]

Kinda wish I went the rock from a reefer route - but now I’m too far in with fish that I’m paranoid about introducing disease to buy live rock from a reefer [emoji24]

Angryminer_07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I just get som scrapings from another tank, and drop them in it will start to grow? Pretty dang Simple if that's the case. I was considering getting some live rock with coralline on it for my sump.
You can certainly do that. Or get a small coralline encrusted piece of live rock and place it within your rock work. Lots of wysiwyg frags/plugs are also covered in coralline also. That's how I plan on introducing it to my system. After dipping and quarantining that is. From what I've read, the dipping process shouldn't kill the coralline. Of course lots of people will remove the plugs for pest reasons.

AzReefn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: I dumped in a bottle of the purple up on Feb 20th. By June I had massive Corraline growth, most of it was on my front glass though. I've since scraped it all off the front and it's continuing to populate the sides, back and bottom along with the rock, pumps, reactor, skimmer and sump. It may have been coincidence but before I used it I had hardly any. IMO it seems to work pretty well.
This is a pic around 4 months after using it.

Corraline.jpg

FloridaGal762

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just received this today. I ordered ARC reefs coralline in a bottle. They put a minimum of 6 different species of coralline into the bottle. I called and talked to the guy, he was extremely friendly and knowlegeable. He told me how they make it, and that by having many different species introduced, you are bound to get at least 3 or 4 that love your tank, and really take off. He said that they have done around 100 starter tank tests with this, and in nearly all of them, it took 4 weeks to develop the coralline "chickenpox" dots all over everything. I also support the work they do in miami building reefs in the atlantic. If you look on their site, they have some amazing live rock and coralline.
20180106_122513.jpg
20180106_122520.jpg
20180106_122138.jpg
Thanks for posting the whole letter. Once I started searching I noticed the other brands were just nutrients and didn’t actually have the coralline in it as a starter.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back