Coralline growth

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,
As an indicator to understand my lighting output does coralline require alot of light to grow?
I have it in the least lit area in my aquarium so I guess the light good enough for corals ?

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
coralline algae does require light. Are you just starting with corals?

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not just starting but I have a load of sps not growing so wonder if my light is underpowered or it’s something else

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the stuff really took off in my tank once I was able to key in on consumption and consistently maintain parameters. I got the greens first and then slowly the purple, pinks and reds. It’s grown in on the shaded as well as the strongly lit areas of my rock. I’m also beginning to notice my alkalinity is dropping at a slightly faster rate

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I’ve still no indication on light levels until my par meter comes
Thanks

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,
As an indicator to understand my lighting output does coralline require alot of light to grow?
I have it in the least lit area in my aquarium so I guess the light good enough for corals ?
It requires some light, but not a lot of it. It is a photosynthetic organism just like most corals and algae are, but it can grow in very little light (50 micromoles of PAR)

javajaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not just starting but I have a load of sps not growing so wonder if my light is underpowered or it’s something else
Maybe some details of what light(s) you use and how long? And what are your params - particularly alk, ca, ph, nitrates, and phosphates?

Almost any light will work for coralline so if your having problems with coralline and corals your problem could be elsewhere or you have multiple problems.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 29 18.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 105 66.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.2%
Back