OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh - I completely forgot the water change system. It consists of (2) 105g tanks connected on a looped system that is valved so one functions as a fresh reserve and ATO source. The second is used for mixing and storing salt. With the flick of some valves and activation of the APEX up to 210g can be pumped directly into the main return line and as the water returns to the sump will raise the level and drain out automatically through a line housed in the primary sump chamber. It will be a full 20% H2O change without getting a drop of water on my hands - and more importantly on my wife's wood floors.
70. Water change system done .jpg
71. Water change system done 2 .jpg

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been quite a journey to this point. I have to thank Chris and Kurt for all the hours of driving, cutting, gluing, and planning. Thanks to Logan for housing my critters for so many months for me and to my LFS Creative Aquariums in Tampa for getting me all the things I needed in those "holy crap, I just realized we don't have a ......" moments.
It truly took a village to pull this thing off. Now though I get to start focusing on the inside of this giant glass box and not the outside.
All in due time.....

Cheers all!!!!
Andy

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Simply amazing is all I can say. As for looking to add something to plumb in to make it an even 1000 gallons I would venture to say all your schedule 80 would hold close to 20. Just call it an even 1000. Great work!

Do you find the ATK able to handle the load of the system? I could only imagine you evaporate close to 10-15 gallons a day?

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Simply amazing is all I can say. As for looking to add something to plumb in to make it an even 1000 gallons I would venture to say all your schedule 80 would hold close to 20. Just call it an even 1000. Great work!

Do you find the ATK able to handle the load of the system? I could only imagine you evaporate close to 10-15 gallons a day?

I love the logic on the plumbing. That makes me feel a lot happier. I'm going with it!

Surprisingly I don't go through that much. I am only about 3-4g per day. I had custom acrylic covers made for each section of the sump. The house is made of concrete block so our ambient temperature and humidty in the home itself is pretty regulated. Combining those two has coupled with the overall reduction of surface area exposed to the elements has really helped. That stated, so far so good but I know better than to ever assume I'm out of the woods with anything.

I do keep 10-15g of RO ready made in 5g camping containers at all times for emergency chemical or top off needs. Paranoia is my boy-scout motto....lol

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paranoia is my boy-scout motto....lol

My wife just doesn't understand that if you're paranoid about the tank then nothing devastating can set you back, its just what you expected to happen. Constant vigilance!

So the one part of this thread that you cut out, that I enjoy some for these bigger projects, are the iterations and decisions made on final product.

Was 120x30x32 with eurobracing always the tank dimensions or what went into that decision process? Did you toy around with a 9 ft length? 12 foot? 24inch height?

Those deciding factors are what I will eventually use when I upgrade in a new home. Was it just a shot in the dark or what took you to that size?

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife just doesn't understand that if you're paranoid about the tank then nothing devastating can set you back, its just what you expected to happen. Constant vigilance!

So the one part of this thread that you cut out, that I enjoy some for these bigger projects, are the iterations and decisions made on final product.

Was 120x30x32 with eurobracing always the tank dimensions or what went into that decision process? Did you toy around with a 9 ft length? 12 foot? 24inch height?

Those deciding factors are what I will eventually use when I upgrade in a new home. Was it just a shot in the dark or what took you to that size?

Hey JBKReef,
I'm happy to share all of the thought processes. I just never know what people care about so yeah, we did play around for quite some time before settling on those specific dimensions.

A lot of it ended up having to do with the space our new house afforded us. I had previously had in-wall systems for the last 10 year and always had a fish room work in with no fear of messes, so going to a system with the display and the cleaning room remotely located meant considering things differently.

I knew I wanted a SPS and tang heavy tank so length for swimming and the depth for lighting were going to be important. The front-to-back width was a settling between maximum space and what would stick too far out beyond the frames of our entry arches. I didn't want to have too obstructive a feeling but really did want to be able to use/see both the front and back of the rock islands I was using for aquascape. The 10foot length was centered to allow 24in on both sides of the tank to allow side viewing/access. I figured I could stretch it to 11 feet but then I'd gain 1 foot of front view and lose practically all side viewing access. That wasn't a worthwhile compromise. So 120 it was. BTW - totally the right decision. The side view is by far my favorite. It looks exactly like diving to me as opposed to TV which is was the front view always feels like.

The second key factor was in once I selected ReefSavvy as my build partner I had the option of ghost overflows. Without those (when I was looking at other builders) I was facing a lot of lost real estate by using internal overflow boxes. 'Going ghost' allowed me to use a slightly smaller front-to-back footprint but still get optimal viewing and aquascaping options.

Third factor was the equipment. While it is a cheesy excuse, a 10foot tank allows a lot of options in terms of equal distribution of flow patterns, lighting spread, and even things like avoiding dead spots or finding equal spacing for the vortechs. So while I would have like one more foot you now start talking about one more radion, one more MP60, one more section of custom cabinetry, one more foot of steel fabrication, etc......... those things eventually add up and yes, you get few more gallons but I was getting what I wanted in a price point I was comfortable with.

So really, it was an all-in-all kind of decision. One that everyone will have to make alone based on what matters most to them. The only advice I was given and pass on freely is this. It will cost more than you expect, take longer than you expect, and be harder than you expect. Expect it and you won't be disappointed. They were right on all three - and I assure you I am not disappointed!

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will cost more than you expect, take longer than you expect, and be harder than you expect. Expect it and you won't be disappointed. They were right on all three - and I assure you I am not disappointed!

I understand that completely. I would like a 10 foot length like you have here, its gorgeous but budgetary I think I'm going to have to stay closer to 6 feet. Like you said it all adds up, I can cut out a couple grand of equipment but reducing size to 6 feet and closer to 240 gallons than 10 feet and 400 gallons. There certainly is a threshold that when you jump over it the equipment jumps up as well. Upkeep of a 400 total gallons system compared to a 1000 gallon system are night and day.

I luckily have a wife who fully supports it, and give me free reign but I have to keep myself in check sometimes in the planning process.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks very nice!

Cbenner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I set the ATK up to control a switch that turns on a Panworld pump. The little ATK pump wouldnt last a month with this system.

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for pointing that out Chris. I didn't catch that in the original question. Yes, that panworld is a must.

alten78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4. Moving day .jpg
5. Beer Fridge .jpg

Moving day including the essentials needed for a long 4 days. I had the great fortune to have Chris Benner from Sticks N Stones leading this project. He and the riggers showed up for the long weekend and we set to work. My poort dog had no idea what was in store...

As a native Clevelander, the stocked fridge is a thing of beauty! Can't wait for some Christmas Ale!

OP
OP
CoralReefer2110

CoralReefer2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a native Clevelander, the stocked fridge is a thing of beauty! Can't wait for some Christmas Ale!

Alten,
Yeah I couldn't agree more. It doesn't get that cold down here but the Christmas Ale tastes as good anyway.... Long live 'The Land' !!

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful system! You certainly went with the best of the best on everything. Following to watch this behemoth progress.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back