3x3 Reef Savvy

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral have taken over the 2x2 cube…
To the point where it is difficult to clean, I have lost a few items due to shading.

I recently was able to get a bigger ReefSavvy aquarium locally for a great price. I will be moving my coral over to the new aquarium soon!

Attached are a few pics of when the fellow bought new and one as it sits in my garage.
Just needs a little cleaning

IMG_3461.jpeg

IMG_3463.jpeg

IMG_3464.jpeg

IMG_2967.jpeg

The last stand for my cube was created from an antique oak door.

1709955744820.jpeg

I was hoping to do something more unique as everything I see is well just a stand.

My aquariums are generally “look down” so coral can be viewed from the top, this will also be the same.

I picked up an old industrial cart and have modified to fit the 3x3 aquarium

IMG_3061.jpeg

I scoured the internet and have not found anyone using such an item for a stand. Would love to see if anyone has anything similar or just as unique.

Last edited:
OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few pics basically I had to drill and grind out rivets to make it wider. The cart was 24x34

Now it is close to 34x34 I added longer channels to widen. I will also need a riser to get the tank up a bit higher.

IMG_3098.jpeg

IMG_3100.jpeg

IMG_3106.jpeg

This is the cart with the riser, at this height the tank will sit at the same height as my current cube. Approx 44” to top

I used the “golden ratio” for coming up with the cart/stand height.
IMG_3197.jpeg

IMG_3195.jpeg

IMG_3194.jpeg

On Sunday my brother is coming over to help me lift the tank onto the stand in the garage. I am not 100% if this is going to be the end product for the stand. I want to see what it looks like. I may want to make a bit higher or add shelves like a cabinet just not sure yet.

I am hoping that it will look nice, we shall see….

Once decided again will need help to get this thing in the house, it really is a beast of a tank. 3/4 glass. I would guess around 300+ lbs.

The stand is industrial it will hold at least 2000 lbs. it is a heavy duty stand.

Next pic on Sunday, hoping it will match the vision I had in my head…

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not prepared to buy a tank just yet.
But it was too good of a deal to pass up.
I had to get my wife on my side. She wanted a stand for her plants. Once again I used some old items for her stand.

She liked it! (Antique grand piano legs bought on eBay a couple years ago for a project and never used)

IMG_3076.jpeg

IMG_3085.jpeg

The aquarium will set on the other side where the light is coming from. That is where the current aquarium sits. Since I have a large sump in the basement all I need to do is get in place and hook up the returns to the unions in the wall.

Last edited:
OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok… was able to get the aquarium on the stand to get an idea on how this will look

IMG_3216.jpeg

IMG_3209.jpeg

IMG_3210.jpeg

I will think about it for a couple of days.

It is sitting about the same height as the old aquarium. Most exciting part is to be able to add a couple tangs. I did a couple measurements of the current Bonnie reef and it should fit nicely with plenty of swimming room for the fish!

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you concerned about the stand not supporting the entire base of the tank?

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No…
There is actually a 3/4” piece of wood underneath the entire tank before the riser.

It’s not to late I can always double it up. Thanks for the comment…

Last edited:
OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to try to get into house within a week or so! Have to get a couple strong fellows to help. The aquarium is heavy

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making progress… I decided to transition to a tub first. Just in case I needed a little more time. I did water changes and emptied the old water in the tub. Basically trying to balance the aquarium and tub water /salinity, temp and Alk…

Transferred the coral and fish, this morning. I may have to add a new port and i May make at least one more bigger.

There is a heater, gyre and mp40 temporarily in the tub…

If needed I can rig up the light if I need more than a few days…

IMG_3310.jpeg

IMG_3311.jpeg

IMG_3312.jpeg

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very unique and interesting!! Where is the top of the tank in relation to you standing next to it? Like lower than waist high?

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2’x2’x18” cube was at 44” top of tank.

This 24” tall cube is also at 44” at top of tank…

I have had several “look down” aquariums.

Great view when sitting in a chair also…

Thanks,

Ed

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, my livestock included a pistol shrimp and watchman gobby. I have not seen the gobby in nine months. I knew the pistol shrimp was fine I can hear him most nights. After I removed the rock structure I seen the little bugger, he looked a bit pale, maybe just because the lights were off? But I caught him and placed him In the temp tub. The pistol shrimp is huge now. The gobby was small when he was put in the tank the shrimp is twice his size

With that said I have not heard the pistol shrimp since putting him in the temp tub… he may not be happy not much sand in there…

Also found a few large bristol Worms. They were not spared, I am sure there are some somewhere in the rock structure also…

I am going to add a small amount of sand/gravel when sitting this up. Not as much as I had in previous aquariums

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I carried the stand in myself… crap that was heavy.
Three friends( I am surprised I have that many) showed up to help move the tank. Man this has to be the heaviest thing I ever had to move… Went fairly Well… I do not think I will ever upgrade again. Tanks are heavy!

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting closer, temp light set up…
Livestock set in. Wanted to get the tub out of the family room as soon as possible. At least everything is in tank and I can now slowly work to finish the rest.

dansyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I'm a big fan of your tank, the bommie aesthetic is great. I was wondering if you ever found any solution on knocking down that wiry green algae? I think i have something similar, it grows relatively slowly (slower than hair / bryopsis etc) but really holds on well, and is kind of arborescent, single holdfast. I tried zooming in on your photos from awhile ago, and it looks pretty similar. Did you ever find a solution?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back