Corals actually look almost over inflated when lights turn off???

TaylorP78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So some of my corals, specially my new chalice coral, candy cane, and space invader pectinia look super inflated when the lights are off. They good during the day too but at night they seem to inflate even more, and this is contradictory to what I have seen on many threads about corals shrinking at night? I don’t know if this is normal or even considered good, this is my first tank and while I am decently knowledgeable on reefing, I don’t have much experience.
I will post some pics too (taken at night)
Also the bottom right of the space invader is normally fully rounded out if that her crab wasn’t there.
Here are my parameters

alk- 8.5
Cal-430
Mag1340
Ph-8.2-8.0
Phosphate- 0.05
Nitrate- 5

DFF17AC9-4EDF-4A05-8275-21D7F11DA8E2.jpeg 704A27A5-CDFA-4A27-AD68-93C3010A3003.jpeg CD070E15-1BAB-4977-8350-B84BBE4FDBED.jpeg

Last edited:

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say normal and they might also have their feeder tentacles out at some point through the night.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say normal and they might also have their feeder tentacles out at some point through the night.
+1 Agreed, like my fungia, acans and candy canes will get puffy and unveil their feeding tentacles. Its also sometimes not uncommon to have some sps with their polyps out when the lights are off.

OP
OP
TaylorP78

TaylorP78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Agreed, like my fungia, acans and candy canes will get puffy and unveil their feeding tentacles. Its also sometimes not uncommon to have some sps with their polyps out when the lights are off.
I know they have the tentacles out at night usually, it’s just they seemed more inflated at night that during the day which just seemed odd to me, could possibly be that they aren’t being blasted with light and having to process it into nutrients. They can focus on taking nutrients out of the water column (correct me if I’m wrong lol). Thank you all for all of the responses though. It is much appreciated.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 67 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back