Corals dying - STN

Luisreefmexico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!!
I would like share some pictures about my corals that are dying and my parameters in order to get feedback about it and if you have recommendations to save it.
I stat to see this condition since 2 weeks ago.
things that i changed
1.-increase the light because i was only used blue light and when i see this issue i I returned the lights as they were.
2. increase from 7 to 8 the Kh
3. I move the corals from the frigging case to the live rock
i do not have any explication
Could you recommend me something ?

IMG-6898.jpg IMG-6897.jpg IMG-6896.jpg IMG-6895.jpg IMG-6890.jpg IMG-6892.jpg IMG-6891.jpg

OP
OP
L

Luisreefmexico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IS 50 ppm but i always had this levels and never was a problem
i think maybe the temperature, yesterday a take this lectures, could it be?

IMG-6976.jpg

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your nitrates at 50 ppm is much more likely to be the problem than your temperature varying a degree over hours of time. In nature, temperature varies throughout the day.

OP
OP
L

Luisreefmexico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates at 50 with you phosphate level is more likely the issue then that small temp fluctuation. Try and slowly get the nitrate level down to say 10ppm and wait. It will take time for your corals to respond positively to the change.
I had for these levels for a year, i tried reduce it with a lot of methods but none give me results.

Also i have dinoflagellates that appear when i do water changes

My corals were fine with these levels, i really do not think that is not the reason, also in different articles you can read that the nitrates doesnt represent problems to the corals but maybe you can share with me a method to reduce it because i tried with bio blocks, water changes, carbon dosing, alggae scrubber, chaeto, and nothing.

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hum... how often do you water change? you sure its dinos? other parameters? ca alk mg ph phosphate? salinity? nitrate should be 5 not 50 I would recommend water changing more ofter. maybee get some dr tims waste away it will drop the nitrates from 50 to 5 in a week if dosed properly.

OP
OP
L

Luisreefmexico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hum... how often do you water change? you sure its dinos? other parameters? ca alk mg ph phosphate? salinity? nitrate should be 5 not 50 I would recommend water changing more ofter. maybee get some dr tims waste away it will drop the nitrates from 50 to 5 in a week if dosed properly.

Yes, dinos, i had ostreopsis that a i eliminated with a UV but after that appear large cell amphidium, i stop the water change since 5 months because i was in 0 phosphates but i never had problems also i turned all the lights in blue.

in my post i attached files with this levels, my last measurements are
CA=396
Kh=7.9
Phosphate= .07
Salinity: 1.023
Nitrates: 50

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is my 2 cents. Bring CA to 420, KH is ok though I run mine slightly higher @9. I would not let phosphate get any higher try to keep it where it is for now. Salinity should be 1.026 so it needs to come up some. I know you normally keep nitrates high at 50 but they should really be 10 or less. If you like high nitrates I would not go over 20ppm. Also, make sure you ensure your RODI water you are topping off with has 0 TDS. Make small and subtle changes so you know what works.

OP
OP
L

Luisreefmexico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe changes of 20 liters weakly.

I test my RODI and have 2 TDS.

Yesterday a review my carbon reactor and the carbon was calm and with detritus, i do a carbon change 2 weeks before, do you consider that the carbon in the reactor without movement can affect or maybe a nitrite peak?

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe changes of 20 liters weakly.

I test my RODI and have 2 TDS.

Yesterday a review my carbon reactor and the carbon was calm and with detritus, i do a carbon change 2 weeks before, do you consider that the carbon in the reactor without movement can affect or maybe a nitrite peak?

Trata de mantener el TDS en zero. Si se necesita, cambia el block the carbon & el resin. & como ya se ha dicho, trata de bajar los nitrates estan muy arriba.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly your calcium is extremely unstable while your alk is relatively stable. That's the opposite of how it should be (ideally both should be stable but alk is always the most variant) and leads me to believe you have a magnesium deficiency.

Also, NOTHING wrong with nitrates around 10 to 25... the key is balance with phosphate.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly your calcium is extremely unstable while your alk is relatively stable. That's the opposite of how it should be (ideally both should be stable but alk is always the most variant) and leads me to believe you have a magnesium deficiency.

Also, NOTHING wrong with nitrates around 10 to 25... the key is balance with phosphate.
He speaks the truth

OP
OP
L

Luisreefmexico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well my sps are still dying, i dont unders stand, i started to do water changes and the corals extend more his polyps but they are dying, i think the problem are the dinos because when i changed the light from all "the time in blue" to a little bit of white light" the corals start with the problems, and when the corals start to die in the bone appear a little bit of dinos, also where water flow the coral start to die.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back