Corals losing colour in quarantine?

Shilpan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!
I have six coral frags in quarantine currently. Parameters have been stable at 1400mag, 9.2dkh, 420Ca for 1 month.

The blastomussa is opening up very well, the green mushroom actually gee another head and the green montipora is growing and encrusting onto the eggcrate, the monti is opening up too.

However there losing their colour, more brown, less green. Will this resolve once they go into the main tank underneath my hydra’s? Or have I permanently damaged these corals colouration because of the lighting in the QT? (I have some cheap Chinese LED).

NB: the red monti, green brain coral thing and achin echinata have retained their colours.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral colors highly dep2ndent on the light spectrum it's getting and the nutrient level in the system
Browing indicate high po4 no3 or low par light.
Washed out indicate low nutrient levels
Whitening or bleaching indicate high par light or some times bad water chemistry.
Thu I never QT ciral as I do not see the value after dipping. I would focuse on coral health not color.
Coral will color when in your system and change its color anyway depending on the system that will finally host it

OP
OP
S

Shilpan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet thank you!
So hopefully once they’re in the DT they’ll recolour like they used to be.

Yeah the main reason I’m quarantining is to keep ich out of my system. I have treated all my fish in copper so no ich yet. Didn’t want a freak cyst coming in on a coral and ruining all of that.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet thank you!
So hopefully once they’re in the DT they’ll recolour like they used to be.

Yeah the main reason I’m quarantining is to keep ich out of my system. I have treated all my fish in copper so no ich yet. Didn’t want a freak cyst coming in on a coral and ruining all of that.
As I said color depend on spectrum, intensity and nutrient balance.
You cannot tell how coral end up until you put them there or unless you dose specific elements to pop certain colors.
I have had coral turn from white to brown, from green to red and from blue to green.
If I want to pop the blue I dose k+ amd iron. If I want to pop the red I dose BA... but this is more advanced dosing that I do based on regular ICP test.
Do not stress about the color now. Focuse on the health of the coral and water chemstry.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw why you quarantine coral fearing ich? This make no sense to me..ich do not come from coral..

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw why you quarantine coral fearing ich? This make no sense to me..ich do not come from coral..
Havent u read the 100+ posts about QT everything that comes into your tank? Those who choose that route are supposed to QT even snails .

I don't subscribe to that myself. I qt fish to get them fattened up and settled and for prazi. But thats it.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a very small risk but ich cysts can come attached on corals and inverts and infect ur tank.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a very small risk but ich cysts can come attached on corals and inverts and infect ur tank.
Alright then:)
And here I used to think ich always exist in our system and it's all about the immune systemnif the fish to contract it or not..

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crypto can definitely come in on corals, snail shells, etc. and also the plugs that they come in on. If you took all of the time to sterilize your tank with fallow periods and QT your fish, then this is a must. People who don't QT coral have not ever been around AEFW, spiders or nudis - all of which will have eggs live through any dip.

The color will come back if your display is more suited for better color. Don't sweat this.

Matching QT and display lights is always a good idea, but not always affordable. This is why I like to match them.

OP
OP
S

Shilpan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice everyone! I’ll take it that since the monti is growing and encrusting it is healthy.

Yeah I’ve had Ich come through on a coral frag once (I assume it was from here, this was the only new addition after 17 months). So I fallowed the whole tank which was very stressful, costly and time consuming.

So I’m very paranoid about quarantine now.

OP
OP
S

Shilpan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice everyone! I’ll take it that since the monti is growing and encrusting it is healthy.

Yeah I’ve had Ich come through on a coral frag once (I assume it was from here, this was the only new addition after 17 months). So I fallowed the whole tank which was very stressful, costly and time consuming.

So I’m very paranoid about quarantine now. 3 years ich and other disease free. Fingers crossed it stays this way, might just not add anymore fish

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too just recently has ich come through on either snails or montipora. Pulled all 6 of my fish and so far only lost my goby. :( but having 5 in a 20 gallon qt is stressing me out and devoting a ton of time. I think I may lose my lawnmower blenny due to not eatting but time will tell. I to am looking at cheap lights to qt inverts and coral now since my tank will be fallow for 76 days. Any luck?

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too just recently has ich come through on either snails or montipora. Pulled all 6 of my fish and so far only lost my goby. :( but having 5 in a 20 gallon qt is stressing me out and devoting a ton of time. I think I may lose my lawnmower blenny due to not eatting but time will tell. I to am looking at cheap lights to qt inverts and coral now since my tank will be fallow for 76 days. Any luck?

You don't need to remove your inverts and corals from the display. As long as the display has no fish, any parasites that hatch will not have a host and will die.

Try feeding the blenny some algae wafers while he's in quarantine. Good luck! :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back