Coris wrasse pairs

Pneumatic_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calling on all my Coris Wrasse owners. Anyone ever try to pair them? Or just end up being a bloodbath? Looking to attempt with two Red Coris, from juvi.

skiwez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not 100% sure what happened. Never really noticed any overt fighting. But have tried a couple of time purchasing several individuals and have over a couple of months ended up with 1

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Yellow Coris Wrasse - and they are great together in a 200g RS 750 xxl. Yellow Coris is a little more tame than your regular Coris Wrasse though.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calling on all my Coris Wrasse owners. Anyone ever try to pair them? Or just end up being a bloodbath? Looking to attempt with two Red Coris, from juvi.
Coris wrasses by nature do not form bonds or pairs because they are pelagic spawners. Don't try to pair them, it doesn't end well for those that have tried. Eventually both of those juvies will become male and will fight to the death. Keep just one.

OP
OP
Pneumatic_Addict

Pneumatic_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coris wrasses by nature do not form bonds or pairs because they are pelagic spawners. Don't try to pair them, it doesn't end well for those that have tried. Eventually both of those juvies will become male and will fight to the death. Keep just one.
This is what I was looking for. I figured there was a reason. Thank you!

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, most Wrasses in the wild form harems and when the male dies off the largest female will eventually transition to male and take over.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, most Wrasses in the wild form harems and when the male dies off the largest female will eventually transition to male and take over.
Actually, there are already many transitional males in the harem. The females in the harem disperse aggression from the “alpha” male or what we sometimes call Terminal Male or Super Male. This reduces any aggression the transitional males will get from the females.
Once the Terminal Male dies off, the next transitional male “in line” will become the Terminal Male. I think some of the transitional males will go off into a different harem but I could be wrong as it’s been a while since I’ve looked into this.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back