COST OF SALT RISING

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
both Instant Ocean and their Reef Crystals go 'on sale' quiet often, just stock up when they do. i didn't really need it but i just got in two 160g buckets of IO from PetCo this week, grand total for the two buckets was $55.57 shipped.
60 bucks a bucket (Reef Crystals) cheapest I have seen up here on a sale.... my local guy will go deep discount at about that rate. If I buy some stock that is lol....

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another point here... do you know that today, in the US, there is a shortage of drivers of about 65,000? Do you think those open spots are being filled buy the cream of the crop? Or, do you think that shipping companies are desperate enough to take what they can get?

Think about it...

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely agree. Many of the drivers on the roadways today are the most inexperienced drivers ever. Which of course brings us back the my original point. The rising costs vs. the dropping of the pay scale has forced many of the most experienced and safest drivers to get out of the business.

To your second point, Kudos to you! We need the space. We don't accelerate like a racecar and don't stop on a dime. This is an 80,000 pound killing machine!!! Some of the antics done by 4 wheelers is not only dangerous but also flat illegal. Some states will actually ticket you for ANY unsafe behavior around trucks.
They don’t teach defensive driving skills like they used to. I only wish LE placed as much emphasis on focusing on bad driving behaviour as they do speed traps.

KC's CNC Creations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60 bucks a bucket (Reef Crystals) cheapest I have seen up here on a sale.... my local guy will go deep discount at about that rate. If I buy some stock that is lol....
it's only 40 bucks a bucket on Chewy and if you add $9 more to the order (or just get two buckets), it's free 2 day shipping.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another point here... do you know that today, in the US, there is a shortage of drivers of about 65,000? Do you think those open spots are being filled buy the cream of the crop? Or, do you think that shipping companies are desperate enough to take what they can get?

Think about it...
Its same here....clamoring for competent drivers....

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Think about it...
This wouldn’t surprise me in the least. The culmination of a global free market economy combined with the next day supply chain.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And no offense, but a lot of them have earned this. Not because they caused a few seconds delay - but because they've danged near killed many of us with their horrendous driving skills. Not to turn this into a rant, but you did make a point of bringing it up, so...

Driving is a skill.. just like walking, riding a bike, painting a portrait, playing a musical instrument, or maintaining a reef tank.

It all has to be learned through experience.

Just because you can get that Prius around town safely does NOT mean that you are capable of handling a big rig!!!

Add this lack of experience to long hours (the current FMCSA allows 11 hours of driving in a 14 hour period) So you have tired and inexperienced people in control of a machine that they have no real world experience with.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put your foot down and don’t do significant water changes. I do 8g every 3 months just to clean out the sump debris.

I also don’t use anything but 2 part. I am guessing trace elements make their way into the tank somewhat from feeding the fish.

I grow macro for nitrate and po4 control.

Tanks don’t need to be as complicated as YouTube videos suggest.

4C5BA96E-FCD5-4AFA-8D8F-ACB9BB912E56.jpeg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz went from $70.00 to $75.00.
Seems reasonable and fair.
If someone jacks the price to far, just say no.
When they lose turns, they will have a sale.
Always keep in mind….Fritz is made in the US.
Salts made overseas have much higher transport costs, which are past onto the consumer.
And salt is salt.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put your foot down and don’t do significant water changes. I do 8g every 3 months just to clean out the sump debris.

I also don’t use anything but 2 part. I am guessing trace elements make their way into the tank somewhat from feeding the fish.

I grow macro for nitrate and po4 control.

Tanks don’t need to be as complicated as YouTube videos suggest.

4C5BA96E-FCD5-4AFA-8D8F-ACB9BB912E56.jpeg
Trace do, depending on what is fed imo...all fresh to frozen wild caught here. And wild harvest Dulse. 8 g in three months not sure I could do with no sump, but, by the time I work it out on my 90 g ? I bet its 24 g changed out, I get away with less than a bucket a year. No dosing.

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From reading other comments I assume this is all because Bulk Reek Supply bought Marine Depot LOL

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The saddest part about "rising freight cost" for me, is that the drivers get nothing from it. We eat the higher fuel cost, higher insurance rates, higher maintenance costs, and our base income actually goes down. The profit margin for independent drivers has gone down to a point where most drivers can't compete and stay afloat, allowing large companies who run their businesses on the backs of students with little or NO experience, to snatch HUGE portions of the market while paying little to nothing to actually move the cargo. Unfortunately, there are also drivers out there who will take any load at any rate. This also drives driver pay rates down as shippers will always go for the lowest possible cost whenever possible. After all, why pay a driver what he's worth if I can pay this guy less to move the cargo? He probably has no experience and the load may never arrive, but that is what insurance is for.

Don't think this trend affects you? Consider this. Everything.. and I mean that word absolutely literally EVERYTHING you own, eat, consume, wear, buy, rent, or see.. was a truck drivers responsibility at some point.

These men and women, are the most hated and disrespected people on the roadways. Constantly dealing with unhappy motorists who hate us because we caused a few seconds delay in their lives.

Next time you have a truck in your way, instead of getting angry that he/she is slowing you down, consider this... This person is far away from home. Probably hasn't seen his family in weeks. Lives in a small box, with no shower or bathroom. Has to eat overpriced and unhealthy fast foods, while doing an extremely dangerous job in all manner of weather conditions. All to provide YOU with the items you want to have in YOUR life. And top it off, is likely not making much profit while doing it.
Very well said - thank you.

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change 2% twice a week, its nothing on the grand scale, in fact my salt costs me 60 bucks a year 90 gallon. I have similar CUC, no fuge, no skimmer, no sump, no cannister. Don't dose whatsoever...pro mech filtration folks don't like hearing that either....
Lol so you have no exterior filtration? Hats off to everyone who do things unventionally

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz went from $70.00 to $75.00.
Seems reasonable and fair.
If someone jacks the price to far, just say no.
When they lose turns, they will have a sale.
Always keep in mind….Fritz is made in the US.
Salts made overseas have much higher transport costs, which are past onto the consumer.
And salt is salt.

Fritz is still the same price at saltwateraquarium.com:

1624762597938.png

I would not be surprised it if when up however eventually.

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change 2% twice a week, its nothing on the grand scale, in fact my salt costs me 60 bucks a year 90 gallon. I have similar CUC, no fuge, no skimmer, no sump, no cannister. Don't dose whatsoever...pro mech filtration folks don't like hearing that either....
I dose cuz I don’t do water changes. Your water changes apparently cover your element requirements whereas I have too many corals for that lol

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose cuz I don’t do water changes. Your water changes apparently cover your element requirements whereas I have too many corals for that lol
Yep...I am close to the dose stage now...teetering, think it is coming soon lol. I have a recent penchant for trying new corals.... I just couldn't leave well enough alone, idiot I am lol
Lol so you have no exterior filtration? Hats off to everyone who do things unventionally
Nope, just a small hob for aeration and a floss powerhead.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back