COST OF SALT RISING

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if I can get banned here.

Shipping prices are going up because our economy is based on too much on demand shipping. Everybody wants it in 2 days at the click of a button. Shippers like UPS and Fed Ex are too busy trying to compete with Bezos vs focus on more efficient shipping .

I think they should double the price of salt. Seriously ....donate the proceeds to grade school science classes which many of you who rely on heavy water changes and can't use a box of baking soda for alk replenishment obviously flunked. No water changes in a year for me either. No fuge....no skimmer. I now have to trade in corals if I want something new because I don't have room. Water changes are pushed on this hobby because they generate revenue for salt makers and keep the cash spigots going.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
not only does salt cost , but the DI resin filters that you go through for 0 TDS eventually rack up.

Again though, in this hobby you have to pay to play.

Obsessed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chewysalt.png
Not for me.........

Weird, maybe try mobile?

900C0876-84BE-441A-A05B-EFD0D841235D.png

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if I can get banned here.

Shipping prices are going up because our economy is based on too much on demand shipping. Everybody wants it in 2 days at the click of a button. Shippers like UPS and Fed Ex are too busy trying to compete with Bezos vs focus on more efficient shipping .

I think they should double the price of salt. Seriously ....donate the proceeds to grade school science classes which many of you who rely on heavy water changes and can't use a box of baking soda for alk replenishment obviously flunked. No water changes in a year for me either. No fuge....no skimmer. I now have to trade in corals if I want something new because I don't have room. Water changes are pushed on this hobby because they generate revenue for salt makers and keep the cash spigots going.
There's more to saltwater than just alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium. That said we can still replenish the trace elements without resorting to doing frequent water changes. I haven't changed mine in over 6 months.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything in life is going up in price. Taxes and inflation reflect companies price levels.

View Badges
Some salt are not made at all.they get them right out of ocean but deliver cost went up so you pay more now.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BTimms Hope this isn’t too much of a left turn ….
Anyway I now live near the coast, I was wondering with prices going up on salt, who is collecting NSW and if so, what are your collection, transport and storage methods?
I live near a lot of FW inlets, so wondering if thats going to be a pollution/turbulence issue….
..again, pardon me OP …didn’t know if starting a new thread was needed …the left turn seems germane given the topics

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have noted, high inflation over the last couple of years has driven the prices of almost everything up. So, I went and looked. Last IO purchase off chewy was $58 for the 200 gallon box. In 2021, same box off Amazon cost me $52 ($48 in 2016). About an 11% increase. I do 50 gallons w/c every two weeks, so salt now costs me $3 a month more than it did. FWIW, electricity rate increases cost me about $40/month more to run my tank. Trees, meet forest.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I looked at the Periodic Table, there wasn't salt, just elements :p.
Somebody apparently snoozed through HS science class. Gave me a good laugh at least (maybe he was joking).

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t actually think 2-day has much effect on transportation prices specifically (costs the same to move a truck whether it’s 2 day or 10 day), though it does affect handling and inventory costs (and thus working capital). Having worked with some subset of the big parcel companies, be assured that they are laser focused on efficiency. No need to look for convoluted reasons for higher transportation/freight, it is driven mostly by fuel costs, asset maintenance costs and labor costs. All of those have gone up.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Costs going up over here
I live near the sea and use nsw only thing you need to check salinity. My tanks have never been better

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back