Could this be the Trident announcement?

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 50-60% is accurate for truly high tech industry items. But I'm kind of curious if the Trident really belongs in that category? I'm asking cause I'm honestly not sure. I just imagine that Neptune has enough capital to make more than 200 units to share between BRS and Marine Depot. LOL!
I doubt it's more than 100$
I think hardware cost is between 50 to 100$.
But to be fair cost of product is not the hw only, all the resources that went in to it from sw hw operations MVA from the cm...etc.
Still I doubt its costing more than 200 300$ final cost.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's not pretend the product launch from 2 years ago announcement is anything but reactive to the industry and its news.
They announced they will have trident more than 2 years ago when khg and ghl canto market.
They released with very limited quantity now because ghl on brs, ion based no reagent testers announced and other testers became comodity.
For sure they lost some customers who are not hardcore Neptune and went with others after waiting.
They angered so many people and it's clear in the forum reactions..
So yeh it couold have been done differently.
You do not see any other consumer product announce a product 2 years in advance..

I’m not really sure what point you are trying to make or how the initial announcement back in 2017 has any bearing on the approach they are taking for launch. I’m always happy to debate a coherent argument.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not really sure what point you are trying to make or how the initial announcement back in 2017 has any bearing on the approach they are taking for launch. I’m always happy to debate a coherent argument.
If I am incoherent to you then accept my apologies, I am so very ashamed of myself and feel I lost something:))
The launch started in 2017 as far as am concerned.
Rest is self explanatory..well incoherently so.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 50-60% is accurate for truly high tech industry items. But I'm kind of curious if the Trident really belongs in that category? I'm asking cause I'm honestly not sure. I just imagine that Neptune has enough capital to make more than 200 units to share between BRS and Marine Depot. LOL!

Doesn’t matter, gross margin in Consumer Goods is in about the same range. No wish to give a primer on P&L accounting but gross margin is not the same as net profit. I would expect that many more than 200 were made.

nyknicks2544

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune's margins are likely very high. Priced like a "premium" product. Dominant position in the controller space. "Neptune Ecosystem" effect where you buy tons of add-ons (powerheads, returns, etc.) due to compatibility with Fusion. The tech inside these is likely not that high tech. Head unit is probably an arduino board lol

They're a lot like a mini Apple in the aquarium space.

Launch was a complete disaster though - largely due to how limited the quantities were. Manhattan had a total of 4 Trident's delivered to LFS. Major online retailers selling out in minutes.

If you're going to launch - launch. Go big you had 2 years to prep. Don't leave the door open and raise doubts from your loyal base. I think the product will be wildly successful but they fumbled this one. Might have gotten scared that the competition was closing the gap and people were becoming impatient so they hit go before they were truly ready.

With that being said I stick to my original comment - don't like it take your business elsewhere

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In any case - any company that requires a maintenance in 12-18 months will not release their entire inventory on one day - that would be suicide - for years to come. The complaining here is seriously becoming ridiculous. Do you want to be one of the ones that sends their thing in in 12 months and have to wait - I dont. They are trying to do it the 'right' (i.e. right way for customers) IMO - after thinking about it.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How so? I don't follow. There were no working models "almost a year" before the announcement. There were working models on the date of the announcement.
Am not disagreeing with you. I am critical to the way Neptune announced the product before it even existed because I believe they did this as a reaction to other testers that were launched. For me it was sneaky move cause they stuck the tone that it's coming soon.
That's all.
Great work Jim btw, great invention and thinking.

GugsJr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people talking crap about price, and what it costs to maintain it, etc... This is a LUXURY! If you can afford it, it's the only thing out on the market that does AUTO testing for you. As long as it does what it is intended to do, there's no need to talk crap about the price of it. Let's wait for another company to release the same type of thing and then maybe we'll have a debate on how much they should really cost.

You don't buy a Ferrari and complain about the price to maintain it...
Do you always type without knowledge? You do know there are 3 other options out there right?

It has nothing with if someone can or can't afford it.

It has to do with the let down of a 2 year hype. Few amazing highlights and a few false promises.

I'm a huge Neptune fan and have a lot of Neptune products and my tank is almost fully automated. I was hoping Trident was much answer for my color deficiency. Looks like I'm going else where though.

If this did Alk, Nitrate and PO4 I would be all in.

CA and Mag doesn't need to be tested that often and will not crash a tank like the other 3 I mentioned.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you always type without knowledge? You do know there are 3 other options out there right?

It has nothing with if someone can or can't afford it.

It has to do with the let down of a 2 year hype. Few amazing highlights and a few false promises.

I'm a huge Neptune fan and have a lot of Neptune products and my tank is almost fully automated. I was hoping Trident was much answer for my color deficiency. Looks like I'm going else where though.

If this did Alk, Nitrate and PO4 I would be all in.

CA and Mag doesn't need to be tested that often and will not crash a tank like the other 3 I mentioned.
Well said.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually like when companies make announcements about future products. It gives me more data on which to make an informed decision. Neptune did it with COR, so no surprise here.

All this winging about price and availability aside, I’m looking forward to some early use reviews for folks that get one right away.

Last edited:

MissyTwitch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah....personally, I'm going to wait for Abex Xepta Machine. It seems like a much better product with greater potential.

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man...this thread has turning into the Purge! 30hvuj.jpg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back