Crab care

Chris Ritenour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I was thinking about buying a calico crab. I was wondering if anyone here has experience with these beauties. I just need to know what to feed them, temps, decor and the such. I would be keeping it in a species tank with a single specimen.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Calico Crabs definitely need a sand bed to be happy, they won't be out and about during the day much as well. Most of the time you will just see their eyes and antennae poking up out of the sand. Not reef safe as they are opportunistic feeders and corals can't run away. Snails will also be at risk; it's not uncommon to see a related species here in Pensacola called the shy-face crab munching on lettered olive snails and luna snails even during the day. They shouldn't bother bigger fish but smaller and weaker/slow-moving fish may be at risk.

Crabs are pretty much the garbage cans of the sea, so they will eat just about anything you give them. For your crab I would give it whole silversides, chopped squid, clams/mussels on the half shell, and perhaps a little bit of nori from time to time :)

They're definitely a cool looking critter! Good luck with the little fella, it should be fairly hardy!

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calico crabs are scavengers, not hunters, and they feed on the detritus (decomposing organic matter from plants and animals), serving in the diverse "garbage disposal" community of the ocean.

OP
OP
C

Chris Ritenour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Calico Crabs definitely need a sand bed to be happy, they won't be out and about during the day much as well. Most of the time you will just see their eyes and antennae poking up out of the sand. Not reef safe as they are opportunistic feeders and corals can't run away. Snails will also be at risk; it's not uncommon to see a related species here in Pensacola called the shy-face crab munching on lettered olive snails and luna snails even during the day. They shouldn't bother bigger fish but smaller and weaker/slow-moving fish may be at risk.

Crabs are pretty much the garbage cans of the sea, so they will eat just about anything you give them. For your crab I would give it whole silversides, chopped squid, clams/mussels on the half shell, and perhaps a little bit of nori from time to time :)

They're definitely a cool looking critter! Good luck with the little fella, it should be fairly hardy!

Thank you for the reply and care info! Glad I made its tank a species only tank!

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elmo Hello GIF by Sesame Street

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back