Cracked Center brace on 120

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I messed up. I was putting in left side of my aqauscape and I slipped, putting pressure on the center brace and cracking it almost all the way through.

I have done some quick research and found examples of people using two pieces of acrylic and sandwiching the center brace with silicon as a repair.

I have also seen recommendations to replace the top trim all together if one can be found.

Has anyone had experience or any opinions on this?

20220906_234157.jpg

20220906_234135.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer. If they had used a 1/2 piece of glass that brace might have survived the impact.

Replacing the top trim & the broken glass would be the best repair, but a minimal repair would replace the three pieces of glass ( possibly with one thick piece to avoid a repetition of the current situation.
The trim has some structural purpose, the main one is to protect the glass edges from impacts that will chip or break the glass.
Bummer-If you didn’t get cut badly there’s that to be thankful for, not much else.

OP
OP
Kristopher Conlin

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer. If they had used a 1/2 piece of glass that brace might have survived the impact.

Replacing the top trim & the broken glass would be the best repair, but a minimal repair would replace the three pieces of glass ( possibly with one thick piece to avoid a repetition of the current situation.
The trim has some structural purpose, the main one is to protect the glass edges from impacts that will chip or break the glass.
Bummer-If you didn’t get cut badly there’s that to be thankful for, not much else.
Luckily there was no broken glass. Just the plastic center brace.

Islandvib3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Repair it before filling it. Make sure you use weld on 40. I've had that happen and I replaced it with clear acrylic and welded to the brace. It definitely worked better not having the dark spot. Needs to be about the same width and thickness to be safe. Or the panels can flex and pop on you.

OP
OP
Kristopher Conlin

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing some more research I had another question regarding siliconing in a glass brace. How wide/thick should the glass brace be?

I am waiting to hear from a few aquarium manufacturers about a replacement top brace as well.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The center brace, and trim, is there to keep the glass from bowing out when the tank is filled. You used to be able to get frames, and it's pretty easy to replace them. That would be my first choice. If you can't get a replacement, then you'll have to figure something out.

For a glass brace, use the same thickness as the tank. Likely 3/8 or 1/2". I would go as wide as possible to give lots of surface area for silicone. But I would get a different rim if possible.

OP
OP
Kristopher Conlin

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The center brace, and trim, is there to keep the glass from bowing out when the tank is filled. You used to be able to get frames, and it's pretty easy to replace them. That would be my first choice. If you can't get a replacement, then you'll have to figure something out.

For a glass brace, use the same thickness as the tank. Likely 3/8 or 1/2". I would go as wide as possible to give lots of surface area for silicone. But I would get a different rim if possible.
Thanks you for the info. I'm definitely leaning towards replacing the entire top frame. I don't know how I would feel having a a once cracked and repaired center brace holding 120 gallons of water off my living room floor haha.

I have reached out to Glasscages and they don't have any in that size. I have a few others I'm waiting to hear back from.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks you for the info. I'm definitely leaning towards replacing the entire top frame. I don't know how I would feel having a a once cracked and repaired center brace holding 120 gallons of water off my living room floor haha.

I have reached out to Glasscages and they don't have any in that size. I have a few others I'm waiting to hear back from.
What brand is the tank?

OP
OP
Kristopher Conlin

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand is the tank?
I'm 95% sure it's a marineland but I can't recall for sure. I bought It almost two years ago but put off building it because life got super busy. I just now finished all the plumbing and rockscape and happened the crack the brace. I could have put water in it today if I hadn't haha. Such a bummer.

I am reaching out to marine land as well. There website contact form breaks when I try to fill it out.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 95% sure it's a marineland but I can't recall for sure. I bought It almost two years ago but put off building it because life got super busy. I just now finished all the plumbing and rockscape and happened the crack the brace. I could have put water in it today if I hadn't haha. Such a bummer.

I am reaching out to marine land as well. There website contact form breaks when I try to fill it out.
I would go into a fish store that sells Marineland tanks. They should be able to get one for you. You could try calling Marineland too at 800-322-1266

OP
OP
Kristopher Conlin

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a marineland. I hunted a little harder and managed to find this picture I took of my cat investing the new tank before I removed the sticker and drilled it lol.

20190823_224659.jpg

OP
OP
Kristopher Conlin

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I called Marineland! Thanks for that recommendation. They don't sell them directly but they are available to order through retailers that have an account with marineland. So I'm going to get in touch with my LFS and see what they say.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hmm... looking at the pictures. they are helpful.

have you reached out to:

They make custom frames.

another thought is to sandwich some acrylic strips on the top and bottom with weldon. Not sure if that will work. strong as anything.

trying.......

OP
OP
Kristopher Conlin

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm... looking at the pictures. they are helpful.

have you reached out to:

They make custom frames.

another thought is to sandwich some acrylic strips on the top and bottom with weldon. Not sure if that will work. strong as anything.

trying.......
Thank you for the recommendation!

I did actually reach out to this company however they stated they do not manufacture 48 x 24 inch frames. I may end up using weldon with strips of acrylic but I'm going to exhaust all my replacement frame options first.

Last edited:

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will your tank have a 'sit on top' canopy? If not (and if it was me), I'd remove the trim, and get some 2" strips of 1/2" glass and put a euro-brace on that sucker.
+1 on this. If you ever watched tanks being made on you tube, super simple, your probably going to be a bit sloppier, but a worthwhile upgrade to your tank

OP
OP
Kristopher Conlin

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have considering eurobracing if I can not find a frame. However this aquarium does have a hood. Would a eurobrace work with one? How level are the glass panes on a mass produced marineland like this. I figured if they were not completely level a eurobrace wouldn't get a great bond.

20220907_123850.jpg

Mikey-D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have considering eurobracing if I can not find a frame. However this aquarium does have a hood. Would a eurobrace work with one? How level are the glass panes on a mass produced marineland like this. I figured if they were not completely level a eurobrace wouldn't get a great bond.

20220907_123850.jpg
Love the stand and canopy!

Since it does have a canopy. I would get fiberglass bondo with the hardner, attach a meal bar(home depot) along the brace to stabilize it. Sand down the area and create a small V groove where the crack is so the bondo can fill the area. Let it dry, sand that down until it looks smooth and spray primer and then srpay paint black and call it a day.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back