Cracking Radion G5

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took a closer look at my lights and all three have torx head screws. I could of swore the xr15 had Phillip's head.

Tim at EcoTech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All-

Plain and simple: my sincere apology to any of you guys affected by cracks around the four mounting screws. If you have this problem, give us a call or send us an email and we'll resolve it by sending a replacement cover. We aren't doing a service exchange for this problem because the disruption to you as a hobbyist having to send in your light for replacement isn't worth your time and hassle. The cracks that may exist on your lower cover are unacceptable and we acknowledge this, but the light is fully functional in the mean time and nothing will be damaged by continuing to use the product until your replacement cover arrives.

Some background, the countersunk holes are over stressed when assembled due to a molding issue affecting the overall size of the lower cover. We have remedied this by installing captive washers behind the countersink to eliminate deflection on the cover during assembly and reduce the stress that the housing experiences. This resolution has been in production for several weeks. The replacement covers come with four screws with the captive washers pre-installed.

One thing I can assure you of, we won't ever leave you hanging. Don't worry.

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All-

Plain and simple: my sincere apology to any of you guys affected by cracks around the four mounting screws. If you have this problem, give us a call or send us an email and we'll resolve it by sending a replacement cover. We aren't doing a service exchange for this problem because the disruption to you as a hobbyist having to send in your light for replacement isn't worth your time and hassle. The cracks that may exist on your lower cover are unacceptable and we acknowledge this, but the light is fully functional in the mean time and nothing will be damaged by continuing to use the product until your replacement cover arrives.

Some background, the countersunk holes are over stressed when assembled due to a molding issue affecting the overall size of the lower cover. We have remedied this by installing captive washers behind the countersink to eliminate deflection on the cover during assembly and reduce the stress that the housing experiences. This resolution has been in production for several weeks. The replacement covers come with four screws with the captive washers pre-installed.

Tim thanks for addressing this and I had no doubt you guys would make it right. It's reassuring to hear though.

Just to clarify out of curiosity. The plastic posts that are molded into the cover were too short correct? So when you tightened the bolts that gap was sucked tight to the heatsink?

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically what your saying is its an embedded washer placed in the plastic plate? Like an insert...

Tim at EcoTech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically what your saying is its an embedded washer placed in the plastic plate? Like an insert...

No. The screw is installed into the counter sunk hole, then a washer is placed on the threaded portion of the screw. This washer is a captive type, which means it holds itself on the screw for easy installation. It serves to take up a gap that exists when the screw is tightened down, thus reducing deflection of the cover, thus reducing stress.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. The screw is installed into the counter sunk hole, then a washer is placed on the threaded portion of the screw. This washer is a captive type, which means it holds itself on the screw for easy installation. It serves to take up a gap that exists when the screw is tightened down, thus reducing deflection of the cover, thus reducing stress.

Great solution. Thats a bummer it happened, but happy to hear you guys already have an easy solution to send out. I am not sure everyone will have TORX driver bit though, might be worth sending one with the replacement kit. Could probably import a bunch for cents each.

eddius_maximus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Four out of five of mine are cracked. Would this possibly contribute to the overly loud fan issue I'm having? The noise pollution is intense. My family loathes these lights.

Lunardogz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My buddy made that video after I had asked him if he noticed any popping noise from his fixture. We both contacted ETM, but both got different answers . When i had contacted ETM, I was told it if the LED is working than it’s normal and didn’t even ask to do a visual check on the fixture. My buddy was told to check the screws if it were loose. He went to check and found out the housing was cracked at the screws and all the screws to the optic lenses were loose as well. I went to check on mine and sure enough the same thing. We were both told because the company was shut down by covid 19 we will get the replacement housing as soon as the state allow them to do so. I have been very patience and understanding of the whole situation to this point. I would be not be happy whenever the replacement parts get shipped out and if it still get cracked after replacing it.

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eddius_maximus
Probably unrelated and most likely due to shipping/packaging.

I am dealing with that as well unfortunately and ETM will replace them. $1 to switch out lights and one at a time.

Lunardogs I am in the same boat and was told the same thing.

OP
OP
Hypnotize

Hypnotize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making it right is a good first step. I hope you have something in mind upon that to reassure the trust in ETM.

Can't wait for my repair kit.

Lunardogz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eddius_maximus
Probably unrelated and most likely due to shipping/packaging.

I am dealing with that as well unfortunately and ETM will replace them. $1 to switch out lights and one at a time.

Lunardogs I am in the same boat and was told the same thing.

I had dealt with ETM on warranty issue before, but I just don’t get it why are the consumers getting charged $1 for products that were defected to do an exchange.

R33fedOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also would like to know the resolve to this... Thre3 New XR15 Blues all have at least 2 of the 3 screw areas cracked. I also have two more on the way as I didnt notice the issue until now. If i would have seen the cracks prior to ordering my New Blues, they would not have been ordered... I have 3 emails to ETM and still no response. I finally called BRS and asked them to intervene. BRS typed up an email and CC'd me on it. Not sure this is going to help. Needless to say the lights still serve their purpose, which is the only thing ETM has going for them at this time.

Last edited:

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I also would like to know the resolve to this... Thre New XR15 Blues all have at least 2 of the 3 screw areas cracked. I also have two more on the way as I didnt notice the issue until now. If i would have seen the cracks prior to ordering my New Blues, they would not have been ordered... I have 3 emails to ETM and still no response. I finally called BRS and asked them to intervene. BRS typed up an email and CC'd me on it. Not sure this is going to help. Needless to say the lights still serve their purpose, which is the only hing ETM has going for them at this time.
Your best option might be letting BRS do the arm twisting.
After speaking to ETM, I was told my only options were to send in the lights and let them put new lens cover/cases on them.
I was told by Tim D. that route could take a couple months. IDK why so long. Maybe there isn't anyone there to do the work because of the covid 19 virus? But that is what he said.
The other option was to fix it myself. They would ship out new parts.

R33fedOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ye
Your best option might be letting BRS do the arm twisting.
After speaking to ETM, I was told my only options were to send in the lights and let them put new lens cover/cases on them.
I was told by Tim D. that route could take a couple months. IDK why so long. Maybe there isn't anyone there to do the work because of the covid 19 virus? But that is what he said.
The other option was to fix it myself. They would ship out new parts.
Yeah, Im not waiting for them to do it. Ill have them ship me the new parts and I'll fix them myself. providing it doesnt void the warranty. However im more displeased about the lack of communication from ETM..

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had dealt with ETM on warranty issue before, but I just don’t get it why are the consumers getting charged $1 for products that were defected to do an exchange.

The $1 charge is typically to make sure that the persons credit card is valid, in case they do not return the original light. Very typical for exchanges :). Otherwise the customer might keep both the aesthetically damaged unit (cracked plastic) AND the replacement.

Given the potential scale of a recall/replacement, it could theoretically bankrupt a company to not receive any units back.

Last edited:

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The $1 charge is to make sure that the persons credit card is valid, in case they do not return the original light. Very typical for exchanges :). Otherwise the customer might keep both the aesthetically damaged unit (cracked plastic) AND the replacement.

Given the potential scale of a recall/replacement, it could theoretically bankrupt a company to not receive any units back.
It's not typical that they keep the dollar, that is normal practice to check the card but not to pocket everyone's dollar.

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree with you 100% but it's not worth the hassle to argue over it.

@theharthat dollar is non refundable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back