Crazy day today!

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My day started off with realizing last night I overdosed NOPOX, and my skimmer was off. For the past 8 hours, I’ve been doing water changes, making water, and setting up a quarantine tank. I’ve suffered two casualties my shrimp and urchin. Unfortunately, my hermit crabs survived those little bleep. My fish and starfish are doing better (not breathing as heavily). I put everyone in the lobster tank in an isolation box, did a water change, added fresh carbon, and picked up a UV sterilizer. I plugged it in, and it’s helping to clear the water up. I will leave my fishies in my lobster tank for the next week while I’m away. I just moved my lobster into the isolation box and my starfish with the divider and put the fish in that tank. Last Spring, I accidentally introduced a fish that died with what I believe was ich. I only treated one fish. I don’t want to move them all again and treat them. Why? Because I’m a firm believer that we all have disease in our tank, and it’s about management and keeping stress to a minimum. A stressful event like today will flare it up. And to me moving them/treating them if they aren’t showing symptoms will only stress them out more especially after today. Now I will be going to Florida and hoping for the best after I throughly instruct my Mom on how to take care of my fish and what to do if something else happens.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking at my Apex! This is how long everything dropped. Also why do the worst things have to happen at night when we are asleep or gone? I know I’m not the only one to have a tank disaster or crash and not able to fix it immediately.:(
FA3C0ACC-7F83-4320-97D0-CCBA8E5A3300.png
4B2ADA35-69F4-4A24-9DCB-A84AC0E8EA11.png 2C8EAEED-25F9-4C57-B520-C22C63F672B7.png D22C9C81-D9BD-47D7-9F3E-F31414D23BAC.png

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still waiting for the explanation of how the overdose occured.
We will never get it, lol. I warned her along with several others about even bothering with nopox in a such a small tank, she didn't listen aaannndddd here we are.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will never get it, lol. I warned her along with several others about even bothering with nopox in a such a small tank, she didn't listen aaannndddd here we are.
Sometimes events like this become teachable moments and a new reefer learns from the mistake. Hopefully she will learn to use the valuable knowledge resource here that R2R offers and not make bad decisions harmful to her tank. I think we have all made bad mistakes here and there over our lives though. The smart ones learn from it.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes events like this become teachable moments and a new reefer learns from the mistake. Hopefully she will learn to use the valuable knowledge resource here that R2R offers and not make bad decisions harmful to her tank. I think we have all made bad mistakes here and there over our lives though. The smart ones learn from it.
Teachable indeed. The op opted not to take advice when it was brought up previously in other threads, thus it's self inflicted hard head learning @ this point. Totally avoidable if she listened in the first place.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Teachable indeed. The op opted not to take advice when it was brought up previously in other threads, thus it's self inflicted hard head learning @ this point. Totally avoidable if she listened in the first place.
Agreed, but we all have been there one time or another. Not an excuse but hopefully a learning experience.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, but we all have been there one time or another. Not an excuse but hopefully a learning experience.
I guess... It's hard to have sympathy after overwhelming advice is given to NOT do something, and you do it anyway. Guess I'm just old and crotchety anymore, lol.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
While the AIO has its purpose....it really isn't beginner friendly long term,only in the short term. You can only cram so much filtration into the tiny chambers in the back.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess... It's hard to have sympathy after overwhelming advice is given to NOT do something, and you do it anyway. Guess I'm just old and crotchety anymore, lol.
I hear ya, I just moved my oldest into college now she knows everything about everything and still asks for money every week.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya, I just moved my oldest into college now she knows everything about everything and still asks for money every week.
Ahh, she's a smart one for sure!
I got one also and i recongize the pattern I'm reading on here.

Taco Oprah GIF

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to know more about the tank: size, parameters, how you are dosing? manual, doser? I dose nopox in my big system with a doser but in my 45 which I'll be setting up a doser, I will stay manual. A) its not a red sea doser, just a jebao wireless, and I don't know how much I trust it as I never used it (bought for a tank I no longer have) and B) if the amts needed are so small, I'd be afraid of overdosing the system. I only dose 7ml to my 240g and though I'm dosing more than that to my 45g, it has a night no3 issue right now. I will take it down as the no3 comes down. C) my 45 is an aio and not as forgiving to errors as my 240

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd like to know more about the tank: size, parameters, how you are dosing? manual, doser? I dose nopox in my big system with a doser but in my 45 which I'll be setting up a doser, I will stay manual. A) its not a red sea doser, just a jebao wireless, and I don't know how much I trust it as I never used it (bought for a tank I no longer have) and B) if the amts needed are so small, I'd be afraid of overdosing the system. I only dose 7ml to my 240g and though I'm dosing more than that to my 45g, it has a night no3 issue right now. I will take it down as the no3 comes down. C) my 45 is an aio and not as forgiving to errors as my 240
Normally I only dose 1-2ml in my 20 gallon but I didn’t measure thinking it was a small capful/splash….I think I accidentally added 5-10ml and my skimmer was off all night which didn’t help. I realized it the next day. But everyone is back home and water is clear. I lost my urchin and shrimp. And even if I did dose it properly I believe it still would’ve happened because I didn’t have my skimmer on.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally I only dose 1-2ml in my 20 gallon but I didn’t measure thinking it was a small capful/splash….I think I accidentally added 5-10ml and my skimmer was off all night which didn’t help. I realized it the next day. But everyone is back home and water is clear. I lost my urchin and shrimp. And even if I did dose it properly I believe it still would’ve happened because I didn’t have my skimmer on.
why is your skimmer off? Most run them 24/7 unless you have zero nutrients and then if that is the case, you wouldn't dose nopox. Maybe mb7 would be better than nopox. What is you no3 and po4. I looked at your thread and didn't see any numbers like alk/ca/mg/no3/po4. Maybe there is something else better you can use with such a small system. Maybe even vinegar. Would like that info if you have it. Also how often do you do a water change.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
why is your skimmer off? Most run them 24/7 unless you have zero nutrients and then if that is the case, you wouldn't dose nopox. Maybe mb7 would be better than nopox. What is you no3 and po4. I looked at your thread and didn't see any numbers like alk/ca/mg/no3/po4. Maybe there is something else better you can use with such a small system. Maybe even vinegar. Would like that info if you have it. Also how often do you do a water change.
My skimmer was off because it was full and I forgot to turn it back on. I normally do.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back