OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No right thread. lol She has the Waterbox AIO , which is a great tank.... Just isn't for a beginner though.
I feel like this is irrelevant and I love my Waterbox. I think any tank can be for anyone I know smaller tanks like super teeny tiny think pico jars are hard. The only reason I got myself in this situation in the first place was because I overstocked it…it’s so hard not to lol.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, she's a smart one for sure!
I got one also and i recongize the pattern I'm reading on here.

Taco Oprah GIF
We ALL get a taco!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No right thread. lol She has the Waterbox AIO , which is a great tank.... Just isn't for a beginner though.
I actually dig them. Had the 30.2 aio for about a year and loved it. It limits the hell out of what you can do, but it's simple and small footprint.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AIO's can be good for a newcomer as they don't have to deal with choosing equipment but they are also not so forgiving as they are limited to what came with the unit. My first tank of a 60g Red Sea aio. And yeah, I made a lot of the newbie mistakes. My thought after viewing her build thread is the tank might benefit from another powerhead. 2 total. 1 on each side with the return on the back. I don't see a lot of surface agitation in the pics of the tank. That one powerhead is way down. More oxygen wouldn't hurt. Is there a media area in the sump? For carbon/purigen etc?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AIO's can be good for a newcomer as they don't have to deal with choosing equipment but they are also not so forgiving as they are limited to what came with the unit. My first tank of a 60g Red Sea aio. And yeah, I made a lot of the newbie mistakes. My thought after viewing her build thread is the tank might benefit from another powerhead. 2 total. 1 on each side with the return on the back. I don't see a lot of surface agitation in the pics of the tank. That one powerhead is way down. More oxygen wouldn't hurt. Is there a media area in the sump? For carbon/purigen etc?
If she doesn't have a media tray, then no. It's just a drain chamber iirc...

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, no answer to testing? Yes? No? lol's. We can't offer a lot of help here....
30 nitrates and phosphates 0.8 last I tested dosing did bring nitrates down from 50. They seem to hover around there I couldn’t get it lower. I typically dose every few days. Again I just added way too much. I stopped dosing for a bit to try chaeto which died on me because I don’t have a refugium and tried my coral light which didn’t work.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, a lotta threads to go through here!
? I've read through her build, this thread and her other one just posted today. What am I missing lol's. Ah, I see a bunch more. I'd rather get updated info here today lol's or not maybe worth my time to try to help

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 nitrates and phosphates 0.8 last I tested dosing did bring nitrates down from 50. They seem to hover around there I couldn’t get it lower. I typically dose every few days. Again I just added way too much. I stopped dosing for a bit to try chaeto which died on me because I don’t have a refugium and tried my coral light which didn’t work.
with a tank your size, you could achieve more by doing some water changes. Also, your po4 is .8? Not .08? If it is .8 that is mega high! What is your alk, ca and mg? Do you dose those? nopox doesn't do as much for po4 and I think doing some big wc's would be faster for your no3.

Yeah chaeto needs light. I moved some to my aio while treating my other tank with reef flux and had a light shinning on a basket I used magnets to hold it to the sides. Not the best though as it added to the no3 due to die off in the baskets.

Because you are leaving, stop the nopox and deal with things when you get back.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
with a tank your size, you could achieve more by doing some water changes. Also, your po4 is .8? Not .08? If it is .8 that is mega high! What is your alk, ca and mg? Do you dose those? nopox doesn't do as much for po4 and I think doing some big wc's would be faster for your no3.

Yeah chaeto needs light. I moved some to my aio while treating my other tank with reef flux and had a light shinning on a basket I used magnets to hold it to the sides. Not the best though as it added to the no3 due to die off in the baskets.

Because you are leaving, stop the nopox and deal with things when you get back.
Calcium hovers between 430-450 and magnesium around 1055. I am. My nutrients are bottomed out now thus the bacterial bloom those tests were before the overdose. The bloom is gone so those results are no longer accurate.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nutrients are your no3 and po4. Nutrients are what feed your corals (and algae). Bottomed out nutrients would mean no3 0 and po4 0, ie no nutrients. But you said noe 30 and your po4 is super high at .8 (should be .05-.08 at least). You need some phosguard or gfo or rowaphos in a media bag in your sump.

Your cal/alk/mg are your parameters. What is your alk? Ca is good. Mg is way way way too low. You need 1250-1350. If your alk is below 7 then it is way too low.

Your tank is far from stable. It is struggling. Stop the nopox.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nutrients are bottomed out now thus the bacterial bloom those tests were before the overdose. The bloom is gone so those results are no longer accurate.
Bacteria bloom isn't going to affect those numbers, except make them higher but won't affect alk/ca/mg. You should be testing weekly. And I'd test all of those, including alk tonight

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How does overdosing carbon lead to salinity and temperature drops like that? Not following.
I have no idea probably the probes got covered in it and it was inaccurate but all I know is everything dropped when I did it. And it did in fact negatively affect my inhabitants.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bacteria bloom isn't going to affect those numbers, except make them higher but won't affect alk/ca/mg. You should be testing weekly. And I'd test all of those, including alk tonight
NOPOX overdose will absolutely bottom out nutrients and cause a bacterial bloom or dinos.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOPOX overdose will absolutely bottom out nutrients and cause a bacterial bloom or dinos.
It will cause a bloom, but if your not actively skimming it out (wet skim) it ain't pulling any nutrients nor the nopox out.

More harm than good.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back