Crazy DI Resin Consumption

.LunaSea.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, this is my first post on the site... so I hope I'm doing this right. :/

I set my 100gpd RO unit to fill a 75gal container, changed all the filters (except the membrane itself) because it had been sitting unused for quite some time. I tried to flush the membrane as best as I could before letting it run through the brand new resin. Came back about 22 hours later, the sediment filter was the color of deep rust, the resin was completely depleted and only about 43 gallons or so of product water was produced. I was shocked to say the least, but I tried again; changed the filter, carbon block and resin. Came back the next day, at about the 22 hour mark again, and the same result.
The unit is hooked up to a utility sink in the house but the water supply shouldn't be that polluted... my ultimate question is, how the heck can I fix this? Is there some kind of heavy duty pre-filter I can put on my supply to the RO? If the supply is actually the problem, that's my best guess.

Oh and I'm only getting about 21psi. I don't have access to a booster pump as yet, but I'm definitely trying to get my hands on one.

Thanks in advance!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most RODI units require around 50psi to function correctly...you definitely need a booster pump asap.

As for the sediment filter getting so dirty so fast...that's dirty water coming in! The only time mine gets dirty quickly is if the city was working on a broken water line and I suspect some dirt gets into the water lines for a bit. As for the resin...you have some really high TDS possibly coming into the RODI unit.

Does your water source use chloramines in the water? If so, you will require additional filtration to clear these out. Also as for the sediment filters, you might need to run a 5micron filter first, then another 1micron filter after that one prior to the water going to the carbon block.

Check out BRS...they have some great videos on the RODI units, troubleshooting them, etc...

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%

Back