Creating a grow out colony.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im toying with the idea of buying a few frags of a desirable Acro like a JF jolt, WD or HW and creating a small grow out colony using multiple frags that I allow to grow together possibly even splitting them vertical down the center to increase light/flow exposure. With the idea being that the bases will eventually fill out and join back together into one large colony that can focus more on energy on growing out flesh initially and less on calcifying a skeleton. Has anyone had good success with doing something like that or have any advice on how to to this more efficiently.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
possibly even splitting them vertical down the center to increase light/flow exposure
Not sure I follow this. I am reading the words, but my mind isn't sure what it is picturing. Can you elaborate on this? Are you talking about taking a frag and cut it top to bottom down the middle?

OP
OP
H

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes cut them top to bottom to increase contact area with the frag plug then glue them flat side down at some proximity to each other to get maximum encrusting surface area. That way the frag plug encrusts along the entire length and you maximize photosynthetic area.

Then since you get 2 pieces you can glue them down near enough to each other that they merge back together and can share resources to grow even faster.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm ok. Can't say I've tried cutting down a frag like that. I have glued some down on their side to a plug, didn't try cutting them in half first.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not tried this either.Unless your are cutting into a really thick bodied specimen, It seems like it would excessively damage the acro. The recovery period may take longer.

OP
OP
H

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm ok. Can't say I've tried cutting down a frag like that. I have glued some down on their side to a plug, didn't try cutting them in half first.
Did you like the results from side gluing? Also is it desirable to grow multiple frags back together. Will a larger colony grow faster?

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not tried this either.Unless your are cutting into a really thick bodied specimen, It seems like it would excessively damage the acro. The recovery period may take longer.
This would be my thought too, exceedingly difficult to cut and likely risks more damage.
Did you like the results from side gluing? Also is it desirable to grow multiple frags back together. Will a larger colony grow faster?
Made it easier to glue down some awkward chunks I had. If the goal is a faster means to a colony it makes sense. If the multiple frags fuse successfully the resultant colony would be larger and present more area for growth.

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I have not tried to split an acro length-wise, I have tried to mount them every way you could imagine. I have mounted them on their side, upside down, at an angle, and even upside down at an angle. I have frag discs that are fully encrusted and seem content to stay that way for many many months. I have gone back to mounting them the traditional way. The acros tend to encrust very quick in my reef.
Cheers! Mark

OP
OP
H

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acros tend to encrust very quick in my reef.
Cheers! Mark
My goal is to encrust as much area as fast as possible and really encourage the frag to grow out and not up for the initial part of its life.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get where you are going with the idea, but practically speaking, I think you will be challenged in this endeavor.

High demand acro frags are typically quite small in diameter. Maybe a quarter inch thick to 3/8ths. Slicing it long ways with a bandsaw you will lose another 1/8" of mass leaving very little left.

If (big if) you can get a fatter chunk of base you might have a better chance. But that has been light deprived for ages and the tissue is very thin on zoox. It will also require acclimation. And, I cannot see an incentive for the fragger to do this unless you have a buddy who does not mind remounting the colony afterward.

I am all for cutting up acro colonies believe me. I am amazed by how well they respond.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the above posters hit the nail on the head with recovery time of something thats been split in two....also, you have to frag a branch like normal first....and then split it down the middle...seems like it would inevitably be a longer recovery time which is counter productive to your needs.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, i have sps that encrusts way before it grows up (Digi)
I also have sps that grow upwards beautifully, about 4", and hasnt encrusted yet. (Stylo)

They are right next to eachother in my tank. Same par, same flow.

OP
OP
H

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am all for cutting up acro colonies believe me. I am amazed by how well they respond.
How well do they respond to micro fragging? Say take a 1" frag and split it into 3-4 smaller bits spread around the Frag disk? Better or worse than growing the 1"

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How well do they respond to micro fragging? Say take a 1" frag and split it into 3-4 smaller bits spread around the Frag disk? Better or worse than growing the 1"

Tough to say for sure -- I certainly don't have real data to support a case either way. But I do support your theory that having more horizontal surface area to start with gets you a colony much faster. A real life example that I have repeated a few times. It is a slight tangent from you theory, but it has changed how I frag "leggy" acros anyway:

I take two 3inch branches of green slimer. The first I just mount to a plug. The second, I cut up into 4 short, fat stubs and mount on individual plugs. Vertically. Now I have a total of 5 mounted pieces.

The first adds a couple of small branches and nubs but most growth is straight up. Stays very "leggy".
The three fat stubs grow out fast and in every direction, not just up. They go for the colony shape.
The tip piece I mounted just grows straight up with very little branching.

Maybe I will attach a pic when I get home so you can see what I am describing.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back