Creating figurines

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen here and online that’s some people make these really fascinating figurines. One of them is the “naked lady”. My question is, what’s used? I absolutely love to recreate scenes from video games (yeah, one of those) and I’ve got this perfect idea.

I’m not sure how many people here have played video games and certainly have no clue if any have played The Legend of Zelda:Wind Waker. I grew up playin games and it’s one of my favorite memories with my dad. He used to chuckle a little when I would show photos of little things in my fish tanks. Now I’m not talking of submerging stuff, as a matter of fact the amount of water going over the figure will be very minimal.

So one day at GameStop my mother in law got me a mystery figure. Turned out to be Ganon from Wind Waker :) well I’ve had Link for some time now. Both at this moment in time are sitting in my freshwater system and are really out of place. And I can vouch, Ganon still has it out for Link. Before I snapped the photo, Ganon took him out. Poor guy.
B89A9A31-FCCB-45E9-9CB2-E8951F2F58B6.jpeg

So looking at these guys so very out of place I thought “Hey I have a salt tank, why not use that as inspiration!” So now I want to create this:
563DA5E5-92B2-4001-AB8E-18C7A0EF1F78.jpeg

This will need to be a pillar. I know people create fake rock. I would like to know how. I’ll definitely have to mark the grooves and shape out the wing like pieces on the sides. I’ve already got a slight idea on how to make the water fall from above. I won’t have the tank completely full, either. Somewhat like my freshwater build. I will of course have good flow, and real rock under the water. I just think a scene like this would be a great conversation starter.

I also would like to know if anyone knows about some clear safe sealant I can brush over these guys to make sure they are safe? I’ve watched the fresh tank for years with these things and there’s zero paint chipping or parameter changed and no I’ll effects on the fish. But.. we all know salt is more corrosive. Even though the figures will have very little actual water contact, I want t to be safe.

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use aragacrete. It used to be “common” -well more common for people to make their own rock back in the day. It is basically Portland cement, crushed coral (or oyster shell), and rock salt. If you are making a figure just don’t use rock salt on the surface. It would still function as lr and be fairly porous.

The curing time is sort of a pain but it is perfect rock when complete.

I have had success with acid based dyes on Marco rock in terms of not being toxic... but it was slowly chipped away by my snails...

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use aragacrete. It used to be “common” -well more common for people to make their own rock back in the day. It is basically Portland cement, crushed coral (or oyster shell), and rock salt. If you are making a figure just don’t use rock salt on the surface. It would still function as lr and be fairly porous.

The curing time is sort of a pain but it is perfect rock when complete.

I have had success with acid based dyes on Marco rock in terms of not being toxic... but it was slowly chipped away by my snails...
Thank you! I’ll be sure to look at some videos or something as to how to go about it. I like the idea of it also functionin as live rock too.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back