cube power head plament? lets talk about it...

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK guys I will admit I am going back in forth on the placement of my power heads in my 90 cubeish 36x24x24

long story short I just moved the tank to it new home in the house and now I have 3 viewable sides so ideally I would love to keep the PH off the side glass.

so how many of you run the PH on the back wall and do you like it?

aquascape will be 2 big- ish islands and a few mounds for corals here and there. ( that is the idea anyhow )

corals will be mostly LPS torch hammers, trachy, lobos but with a few softies and SPS here and there so a mixed reef..

I need a new power head as one stopped working a few months back so...I am between a few pumps.

top of the list are :
the new reef breeders RP 26 pumps with a wide flow and small foor print and good price point.

or
one maxpect Grye 250 on one side or 2- 230 on back wall.

anyway let talk flow and PH placement in cubes tanks..

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the same as yours, but FWIW...

JBJ 45 Flat Panel AIO. It is called a cube I guess but the display is actually 26.5 x 15 x 17”. Only two sides are viewable on mine (in a corner). I have a single IceCap Gyre 1k placed vertical behind the rock work in the back left corner. I have dual returns pumping (I estimate) 500 GPH total of 35 gallons actual water volume. The returns are affixed with @Vivid Creative Aquatics Random Flow Generators. The Gyre I have run higher, but as I added corals I have brought that down to 30% for now. I will likely increase it as I add more needy corals. I have mostly LPS right now and a small Toadstool Leather. I get great flow throughout and everything remains suspended. Nothing collects on the bare bottom. The corals flow nicely in random ways and are not being “torn apart” anywhere.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh I will look in to those returns I was just thinking about upgrading or doing something different.
I did not think about putting a Gyre vertical...hmmm

Best thing is it is practically out of sight vertical in the back corner.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh I will look in to those returns I was just thinking about upgrading or doing something different.
I did not think about putting a Gyre vertical...hmmm
Definitely give the RFG Nozzles a look - it might be just the kind of flow you're looking for, and they wont take any room on your glass.

Given the size of your tank, i would suggest at at least 2, 3/4in RFGs - assuming you have enough GPH from your return pump. If you want to be able to minimize, or possible even eliminate the flow pumps all together, you will want to be able to provide the RFGs around 750-1,000 GPH for the pair (325 - 500 each). That would be e nough to create a nice wide, randomized flow pattern.

Spanky05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK guys I will admit I am going back in forth on the placement of my power heads in my 90 cubeish 36x24x24

long story short I just moved the tank to it new home in the house and now I have 3 viewable sides so ideally I would love to keep the PH off the side glass.

so how many of you run the PH on the back wall and do you like it?

aquascape will be 2 big- ish islands and a few mounds for corals here and there. ( that is the idea anyhow )

corals will be mostly LPS torch hammers, trachy, lobos but with a few softies and SPS here and there so a mixed reef..

I need a new power head as one stopped working a few months back so...I am between a few pumps.

top of the list are :
the new reef breeders RP 26 pumps with a wide flow and small foor print and good price point.

or
one maxpect Grye 250 on one side or 2- 230 on back wall.

anyway let talk flow and PH placement in cubes tanks..

I had some similar questions in my thread I started a while back.

Here are some more things to consider: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/flow-in-a-90-gal-cube.415234/

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely give the RFG Nozzles a look - it might be just the kind of flow you're looking for, and they wont take any room on your glass.

Given the size of your tank, i would suggest at at least 2, 3/4in RFGs - assuming you have enough GPH from your return pump. If you want to be able to minimize, or possible even eliminate the flow pumps all together, you will want to be able to provide the RFGs around 750-1,000 GPH for the pair (325 - 500 each). That would be e nough to create a nice wide, randomized flow pattern.

oh cool I did not know about those! researching now...

I should have more than enough flow depends on what I do with my new manifold. just got a new DC pump so it would be east to play with those and see..

kicknwing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running a icecap 3k vertically in the corner on my 60 cube. I think its tricky to get proper flow in a cube with a grye... but it can be done!

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was playing around with my PP8 in the dry 90 ( everything is in the 40br holding tank ) I put the power heard on top back and angled in to the middle of the tank, so it not just pushing front to back but more of an angel across the tank.

that is one thing I cant do with the PR26 alto its a wide flow and not a cone hard to tell witch one would be better. in an ideal world I would get all 3 and teat each for a week and report back what I found to work "best" for my setup.

Bmasculine

Serial SPS murderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run a gyre vertical in this tank couldn’t put it on the back glass because of the way I had plumbing done
9CA35556-B090-45BE-B5F0-F1938D9E793A.png
went with two gyre xf-230s on my new build, 60 gal cube, so I could get the random turbulent flow areas favorite thing is how close I can put them to the surface
3669AD96-6843-4EE1-9307-E5E906D5DA60.png
If you haven’t used gyres I think you would be surprised how versatile it is. You could mount one vertical on the back of your tank use the top cage to send flow across the back of tank and aim the bottom cage tword the front glass or vice versa, heck you can even run half of it.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HEll by the time I get the tank set back up it might be black Friday and maybe I can afford to FX230's...lol

I do like the small foot prinp of the PP8/RP26's ...

in the end its just like everything in the hobby pro and cons to it all just gotta figure out what works for you eh?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 140 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back