Habachi_Grill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I know there are multiple threads on cultivating phytoplankton however I wanted to create my own so I can document along with receive guidance on my journey!

Please provide advice if you have experience because I would love to improve my current process! If there is anything you would change in amounts listed bel

Starting 05/16
About 1 liter of New Saltwater
16oz of phytoplankton
1 ml of f2 Fertilizer
Spare lightbulb

I’ve heard mixed reviews whether or not to add additional fertilizer to the culture when starting out but I figure I can always add more later on if it does clear up. What do you think? Should I add more fertilizer? Do I wait a day or 2 before adding more?

Very new to this, so if I butcher it I’m sorry in advance. Just trying to learn more

Ps. There are some beautiful set ups of culturing stations but we ain’t got the space or time for that lol… probably one of the most ghetto setups out there. AND IM PROUD OF IT LOL IF IT WORKS

9D2864E6-A108-4913-BB69-7070C2FC3C6C.jpeg

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard mixed reviews whether or not to add additional fertilizer to the culture when starting out but I figure I can always add more later on if it does clear up. What do you think? Should I add more fertilizer? Do I wait a day or 2 before adding more?

I had not heard this when I started mine, I dosed the f2 per the directions and did not have any issues.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use f2 per instruction. Don't add more later. There is enough fertilizer in the recommended dosage to get you to the right concentration of phyto. More fertilizer = more growth but at some point it becomes a balancing act bc too dense and light won't penetrate enough thus slowing down growth. What you want is that sweets spot where all the fertilizer is used up so when you dose your tank you are not adding fertilizers that can cause algae issues..After a few batches you will get a feel of how "green" ur culture gets and when is it "ripe" for harvest.

I have been able to keep one original batch going for 2 years now, and the key is to keep everything meticulously clean. In between each batch I use rubbing alcohol and sterilize evverythibg. Don't try to leave the "seed" in the same container to regrow the new batch, instead, harvest 100%, clean out everything, then add back a portion of what you harvested in the cleaned container to seed the next batch

Also, what did you use for the initial seed? If like me, you use a live blend (maybe phyto feast), then after a few batches it will usually become a single strand batch since different strands of phyto have different growth conditions, so after a few batches, the 1 strand thats most suited for your specific set up will outgrow the other strands.

OP
OP
H

Habachi_Grill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use f2 per instruction. Don't add more later. There is enough fertilizer in the recommended dosage to get you to the right concentration of phyto. More fertilizer = more growth but at some point it becomes a balancing act bc too dense and light won't penetrate enough thus slowing down growth. What you want is that sweets spot where all the fertilizer is used up so when you dose your tank you are not adding fertilizers that can cause algae issues..After a few batches you will get a feel of how "green" ur culture gets and when is it "ripe" for harvest.

I have been able to keep one original batch going for 2 years now, and the key is to keep everything meticulously clean. In between each batch I use rubbing alcohol and sterilize evverythibg. Don't try to leave the "seed" in the same container to regrow the new batch, instead, harvest 100%, clean out everything, then add back a portion of what you harvested in the cleaned container to seed the next batch

Also, what did you use for the initial seed? If like me, you use a live blend (maybe phyto feast), then after a few batches it will usually become a single strand batch since different strands of phyto have different growth conditions, so after a few batches, the 1 strand thats most suited for your specific set up will outgrow the other strands.
Wow! That is amazing advice, thank you for taking the time out and sharing that. Yes, I too am using a live blend from Dinkins Aquatic Gardens! I believe it is a 6-8 blend but after maybe a couple of cultures if I am able to get that far it will be 1 single which is fine for me!

Not gonna lie, the idea of just leaving the seed in did cross my mind lol but being thorough on the process will help out in the long run so will do that!

I was thinking of splitting my culture at the 5 day mark into another container to culture, would I then re add 1 ml of fertilizer f2 to both containers?

OP
OP
H

Habachi_Grill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C84ED1B7-FD2B-4D87-B884-F7FED0CF5804.jpeg

Day 2 Culture: white foamy bubbles on top forming with slight bacteria but nothing serious. Looking good so far

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C84ED1B7-FD2B-4D87-B884-F7FED0CF5804.jpeg

Day 2 Culture: white foamy bubbles on top forming with slight bacteria but nothing serious. Looking good so far
Looking good.

Splitting is fine if you want the two bottles and re-add f2 as long as its the right dosage. As for when to split. 5 days is the general guideline but I usually go by the "eye test" bc I know how green my batches get. You'll get the feel too eventually because at some point you'll realize its so thick that its blocking the light and thats when you harvest. It doesn't need to be exact because harvesting too late or too early by a couple of days usually won't cause any harm

Good luck and let us know if you have more questions.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you get comfortable with the process, consider getting a bigger container so you don't have to do this split. Less transferring = less chance of introducing impurities for contamination.

This is my current set up, 20$ from ikea for that fruitpunch jar. Remove the lid and use plastic wrap/rubber band to seal. Poke a hole for the airline/airstone.. Makes about 1G that I split into 8 bottles that usually last me 1 month - my tank drinks that stuff. 1/2 bottle every couple of days on a 30G. Dose 7 and reseed with 1.

This is also Day 2
16528249342048199783728907148560.jpg

OP
OP
H

Habachi_Grill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you get comfortable with the process, consider getting a bigger container so you don't have to do this split. Less transferring = less chance of introducing impurities for contamination.

This is my current set up, 20$ from ikea for that fruitpunch jar. Remove the lid and use plastic wrap/rubber band to seal. Poke a hole for the airline/airstone.. Makes about 1G that I split into 8 bottles that usually last me 1 month - my tank drinks that stuff. 1/2 bottle every couple of days on a 30G. Dose 7 and reseed with 1.

This is also Day 2
16528249342048199783728907148560.jpg
Nice set up! Definitely will consider the larger container! I didn’t realize how much of It goes into our tanks but wow, sounds like you have quite the masterpiece of a display at home! I‘m hoping to get there like you.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up! Definitely will consider the larger container! I didn’t realize how much of It goes into our tanks but wow, sounds like you have quite the masterpiece of a display at home! I‘m hoping to get there like you.
Thx yeah I definitely dose on a high side but I build it up slowly. The tank def has pretty crowded amount of corals but its also feeding a ton of the worms and pods which help feed my fish. I just see them pick off the worms and graze on the rock. Helps with stability and algae mgmt too.

OP
OP
H

Habachi_Grill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx yeah I definitely dose on a high side but I build it up slowly. The tank def has pretty crowded amount of corals but its also feeding a ton of the worms and pods which help feed my fish. I just see them pick off the worms and graze on the rock. Helps with stability and algae mgmt too.
Worms as in bloodworms or white worms?

OP
OP
H

Habachi_Grill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3: Culture has significantly changed color toward more green. If I was to compare it to anything close possibly green juice from Jamba Juice lol. Slight foaming bubbles on top.

looking good so far! Excited to culture and place into the next bottle in the right!

Attachments

• B413BB68-C226-4B9E-9F6F-2CFA3116629C.jpeg
    B413BB68-C226-4B9E-9F6F-2CFA3116629C.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 65
  • C002F1D3-C1CA-45F5-A06C-6C85033357CB.jpeg
    C002F1D3-C1CA-45F5-A06C-6C85033357CB.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
H

Habachi_Grill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 4: WE MADE IT YALL LOL! I appreciate the guidance and the support over the last week! Phyto is dark dense green! I believe almost like when we first purchased the original culture. Very happy we came this far so I plan to split tomorrow :) will update to show results and amounts

It’s starting to be foamy at this point so I think that’s a sign that it is time to split the culture.

QUICK SIDE QUESTION: I recently received a sifter courtesy of reef nutrition at my local Coral Farmers Market. When moving all my culture to the new bottle, should I put it through the sifter to take out the detritus or would that not work?

Attachments

• DFF39CB1-1BB8-438D-8866-580E88306F4E.jpeg
    DFF39CB1-1BB8-438D-8866-580E88306F4E.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 67
  • 258EF922-0395-4392-A5C6-6E2CCE6A2164.jpeg
    258EF922-0395-4392-A5C6-6E2CCE6A2164.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
H

Habachi_Grill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 5: FINALLY SPLIT CULTURE ! This is an achievement for myself haha! As a new reefer, I’m very proud I made it this far and hope to keep it going. I was able to have enough to split into 2 bottles along with a spare apex 8oz bottle I had laying around.

Moving forward this time around, I am shooting for a darker green so maybe 6-7 day mark will be the next culture. I attempted to use the sifter but since it was such a new culture there wasn’t any detritus.

Attachments

• F7D66494-EFB4-448C-B901-48CBD3B164CB.jpeg
    F7D66494-EFB4-448C-B901-48CBD3B164CB.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 92B51505-85A9-4003-B520-4682BA95F1CB.jpeg
    92B51505-85A9-4003-B520-4682BA95F1CB.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 56
  • C1F6E8AC-CF43-41B3-8B37-55E3B22F699D.jpeg
    C1F6E8AC-CF43-41B3-8B37-55E3B22F699D.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 61
OP
OP
H

Habachi_Grill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 cultures in! Changed set up from culturing every 5 days to each week (7 days) because it’s easier for scheduling. About 1 month into my journey culturing phyto and only contamination was my first culture which I used plastic and maybe doses too much f2 initially.

Truthfully, I thought 2 cultures at 1 gallon each would be enough to handle 4 tanks total (14gal, 150 gal, 180 gal, 35 gal). On this last culture, I have so much excess lol I’m still trying to use up from my second week and here we are almost on the 4th week. I’m over here using any bottle I can find including this nacho cheese glass bottle haha…

It came to a point where I was giving 6oz to half gallons to friends and family and I still have all the jars in the pic available. My next plan was each frag I sell just give a little bit of phyto as a thank you because who doesn’t love free phyto.

My takeaway was that on the 3rd culture the color has seriously darken and I’m starting to get a hand of it. In terms of cleaning… well I filter the phyto out each time completely but cleaning the bottles and tubes could be better. I am kinda half butt as all I really do for the bottle is Rinse with hot water 3 times and uhm yea that’s it…

my next plan is to start my copepod culture :)

if interested come follow me on ig @ Salty_taste650 for more current updates

385CAA2F-3116-4ACB-A71D-7DE05C908AEE.jpeg

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Habachi_Grill I'm so glad your phyto culture is still going strong! It's always encouraging to see people culturing our phyto over multiple generations - it just goes to show that all the work we put into creating a quality product is paying off! Thank you for sharing!

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Does rubbing alcohol have an advantage over bleach which is likely cheeper?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its safer - rubbing alcohol evaporates and rinse off easier and the container can be used immediately, even if not completely dry.

Bleach you will need to be extra careful and make sure everything rinse off and completely dry

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back