Cultivating pods

Herpdederp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So three days ago I attempted to make a pod cultivating system with a big mason jar, since I am looking to TTM a mandarin before introducing to my DT. I followed instructions from a youtube video this was what I added into the jar -
Newly mixed salt SG 1.026
Added pods caught from my DT 20 - 40 fully grown
Added 15ml of Pyhto Plankton from Seachem
Added air tube and tied the tube to control air intake
Water temp at 22 degrees C

I've attempted to add fully grown pods in the jar but both times they die overnight. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance!

dk2nt9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For YouTube advice, better to ask the person who posted it, first hand experience.

At my knowledge, as any other tank, it has to be a stable life support system, without ammonia and nitrites, big temperature changes (if main tank had 27C and they were moved to 22C). They have to have suitable food source, see species requirements. Large amhipods need larger meatier food as LPS or fish pellets. Too much food, left in the container to decompose, and it can affect bacterial balance in negative way. Make it more refugium like, with hiding places.

Crustaceans have one drawback: if the change in TDS was too big, they could have a problem adapting to it, being inside rigid shell and end with faulty molting.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its super easy, just room temperature saltwater, an air line with very minimal bubbles, and green phyto. Temp doesnt need to be exactly this, and salinity doesnt need to be exactly that. My simple set up is below as example.

I would suggest that you get yourself some live phyto, not the bottled stuff. I have very poor success with bottled stuff (phyto feast for example) compared to live phyto.

1639575857805.png

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back