cure nasty live rock

  • Thread starter Thread starter whotzler
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

whotzler

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 21, 2016
Messages
104
Reaction score
64
Location
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am purchasing some ones tank breakdown, that includes 250 lbs of live rock. I am wanting to use this in my 210gal tank I am setting up. The problem is the live rock is coming from a tank full of flat worms, red bugs, aiptasia, algae, algae, algae, all kinds of stuff I do not want in my tank.

What would be the best/fastest approach to making this rock 100% safe to use in my tank?
 
Buying new rock [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]. But seriously, there's a lot of threads out there about curing used live rock. It involves months of water changes. You pretty much need to bleed out the phosphates from the rocks using the physics of displacement. I'm looking into using lanthium chloride and or macro algae to expedite this process. Keep in mind I am not an expert and get as much other feedback as you can.
 
First off dry all of it out in the yard or deck or somewhere.

Then I would get a large tub and acid bath it. I used muriatic acid from home depot. Careful as to make sure you handle this with caution. use gloves, eye protection, and a face mask or shield. Make sure the tub has room for rock and then about 2ft more room on top for the bubbles. Then, add water to about cover rocks. Then add the acid. ALWAYS water FIRST! Give it 20m to 30min to cook. Keep pets and kids away. Drunk people too. :)

Then I used a huge bag of baking soda to neutralize it. You can also use drain cleaner. Let it sit a while. Then, rinse it all down with water (hose probably). Now let it bake in the sun again for over a week. Now you can begin curing it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new