Cyber Monday

EvanEggleston

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
How strict is the no sand or rock rule? If I make it a permanent ficture is it okay? I feel bad for my blenny. I only have ocean direct live sand to put in a saucer, i am sure that's not non absorbing

I have some never used marco reef saver rock

OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
How strict is the no sand or rock rule? If I make it a permanent ficture is it okay? I feel bad for my blenny. I only have ocean direct live sand to put in a saucer, i am sure that's not non absorbing

I have some never used marco reef saver rock

Substrate can pull copper out of the water two ways: absorption (into carbonate rocks) and adsorption onto any surface really. Coppersafe and Copper Power are removed more slowly than ionic copper is. With a good test kit, you should be able to test and redose and keep your levels up. You may need to test daily at first, but after time, weekly should suffice. Of course, then never use that rock/sand in tanks with invertebrates.

Jay

EvanEggleston

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Substrate can pull copper out of the water two ways: absorption (into carbonate rocks) and adsorption onto any surface really. Coppersafe and Copper Power are removed more slowly than ionic copper is. With a good test kit, you should be able to test and redose and keep your levels up. You may need to test daily at first, but after time, weekly should suffice. Of course, then never use that rock/sand in tanks with invertebrates.

Jay
Thank you! I went ahead and added a dish of ocean direct and 2 rubble of marcos with some diatoms on it. Got 4 hannah copper reagents left, going to order some more.

OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Somebody at Hanna told a R2R member that the LR model is not effective in salt water. I read the spec sheets on both models, and it wasn’t clear to me. In any event, for coppersafe or copper power, you need the HR model.
Jay

Have you bred fish in your tanks?

• I have bred saltwater fish

Votes: 37 13.4%
  • I have bred freshwater fish

Votes: 119 43.1%
  • Not yet, but I am interested in breeding fish

Votes: 65 23.6%
  • I think it is an interesting idea, but not my thing

Votes: 62 22.5%
  • I am not interested in breeding fish

Votes: 42 15.2%