Current Quarantine Protocol

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had somebody tell me that dechlorinator isn't an issue with amine based copper products, so I'm waffling on that aspect of being careful with reducing agents when using these copper products. I still feel that care must be taken with ammonia reducing products (Amquel, Prime, etc.). So - as long as you use the proper amount of dechlor for the amount of water you are using, you should be fine. The basis for all this are reports I keep having about people running into copper toxicity problems, while I never see that myself. One big difference is that due to my systems, I never use reducing agents, while home aquarists frequently do, but the issue may have some other basis, so I'm still pondering that....

Jay
I read a forum about how prime is only ok to use with copper power. I am using it rn with no issues.

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read a forum about how prime is only ok to use with copper power. I am using it rn with no issues.
Trouble is - nobody has done actual testing on this, it is just anecdotal information. To be safe, you should not use any reducing agents with amine-bonded copper products. Or, if you go use them, don’t use a higher than normal dose. The chemistry of these products are complicated. For example - ammonia reducers bind with free ammonia first, but if used in excess, will they start to break the copper-amine bond? Nobody knows for sure.

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trouble is - nobody has done actual testing on this, it is just anecdotal information. To be safe, you should not use any reducing agents with amine-bonded copper products. Or, if you go use them, don’t use a higher than normal dose. The chemistry of these products are complicated. For example - ammonia reducers bind with free ammonia first, but if used in excess, will they start to break the copper-amine bond? Nobody knows for sure.
Yeah makes sense

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 115 58.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 58 29.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 70 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.4%
Back