OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I held off on fragging the Tri-color as the recession appeared to stop, but then on June 6th I noticed it started back up again and going higher on the main trunk. Fortunately this frag grew like a tree and all the branches sprouted off the main trunk where I could frag at the trunk while maintaining the colony.

2014 53.jpg

STN base after fragging

2014 54.jpg

Fragged colony glued to a piece of rock. Note that you can see the previous base in the upper left corner of the picture.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel for you. I know what it's like to fighting to keep those acros alive and well and lose them :( It doesn't take much for them to go south. I hope you can save some.

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With daily water changes I have now gotten back to lower nutrient levels of 0.25 (NO3) and 0.03 (PO4) while maintaining my other parameters at around Ca of 460, dKH of 7.7 and Mg of 1400.

I continue to observe all corals and it appears my damage control efforts have worked for now. Unfortunately, I am unsure of whether the “dirtier†water contributed to the events and would be reluctant to try it again. I am now considering what effort I should employ on my new build to keep the nutrients low such as GFO, bio-pellets, algae scrubber or ZEOVIT…:decision:

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the lessons learned for my new build was to make sure all equipment would not be on the same circuit whereas if one GFIC outlet would not take down the entire system if tripped. I thus installed a sub-panel and ran 4 dedicated runs to the cabinetry area, consisting of two 20-amp and two 15-amp circuits.

140504 016.jpg
140504 015.jpg

Unfortunately that means I will have to buy additional Neptune Systems Energy Bar modules…:eek:hwell:

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next week begins my new journey as the install is set-up for Monday. I will update with lots of info/pics of the new equipment and progress!:biggrin1:

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:party: Yea, good to hear! Don't forget the install pics ;)

:crossedlips: Yeah my husband doesn't know all the cost either. He would smash the tank if he did LOL. He just knows that he helps with it from time to time and since he sees me DIY and helps sometimes with DIY that he's saving money.

I like your electric set up! I've been thinking of getting Glenn to do this as well in our house. I'm not comfortable running on a in breaker in use for other rooms. I think we should add at least one dedicated to the tank. Might have to wait until fall when it's cooler here though. 200+ deg. in the attic isn't safe.

Can't wait to see your tank set up!

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran to Menard's to get some 1/4" stock bar steel pieces to line the perimeter of the tank for the metal stand to sit on. Mostly because I was bored and had too much time to think about the build :clock: , but also the engineer in me wanted the stand to sit on steel as the concrete is old and I don't want to have any localized crushing happening under the leveling feet sometime down the road making the tank slightly un-level and potentially causing a stress crack in the glass. I don't know how many feet or spacing, hence I lined the whole perimeter. I've been around to many construction sites to see that after finishing fresh concrete you get a thin layer of paste at the surface that later can have surface problems. My slab already has some localized areas that have some spalling. Less than $100 bucks so cheap insurance to make me sleep better at night. :sleep::sleep:
140504 030.jpg

They came in three foot lengths so cut them to fit with the hand grinder.

140504 031.jpg

Painted them black and clear coated them to help prevent corrosion from saltwater.
B.jpg

In-place and ready for the install.
Gotta have something to keep busy while drinking beers on a Friday!

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha! Well at least you're using your wait time constructively! But seriously, it was a good idea to do this. Now, maybe having to wait on the tank was for the best. You might not have done it if it had arrived on time ;)

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my Neptune System outlet and pH/temp modules today and just in time.

C.jpg

Ran the Aquabus cabling through the ceiling into the fishroom where the main Apex system resides.

A.jpg

Tomorrow I will run tubing from the dosing pumps to the tank that will be hidden in the flooring along the wall and under the wood trim. I have three available pumps left for Ca, dKH and Mg.

D.jpg

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran four lines for my dosing and ATO.

E.jpg

Will all be nicely hidden by my trim.

F.jpg

G.jpg

This will keep all the clutter in the fish room!

H.jpg

Now it's time to relax and get ready for the build tomorrow starting bright and early at 7:30 a.m.

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank arrived at my house, a major milestone!:becky:
Tank Build 001.jpg

Tank Build 002.jpg

Tank Build 060.jpg

Tank Build 004.jpg

Stand in-place, waiting for piano movers to show up to move the tank.

Tank Build 039.jpg

Oh boy, something new to get into...

ifrizk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the best builds I have read. Keep it up, by the end you will have a short book.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sweet!

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jackie and Rev!! The build is about 90 percentcomplete, with the remaining finishing touches to be completed on Friday.

I'll show progress pictures as I get time starting withthe tank move down into the basement by the two guys from the piano moving company.
Tank Build 081.jpg
Tank Build 087.jpg
Tank Build 088.jpg
Tank Build 089.jpg
Tank Build 092.jpg

This was a little nerve racking for me to watch to say the least!:jaw:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sheeesh! Scary!

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 122 43.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 135 47.9%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 12 4.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 2.8%
Back