Custom 85g Stocking Suggestions

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to post ANOTHER stocking suggestion thread but I have been spending some time reading through threads and wanted to get some opinions on my new setup.

I am going to be doing a mixed reef and want a peaceful community style tank. The tank is custom built, 32” Long x 22” Deep by 30” Tall. I will post a few current photos below for reference.

Here is what I have come up with thus far:

Wants
- Midas Blenny
- Pair of Percula or Ocellaris Clowns
- Firefish, Helfrichi or Some sort of Firefish (Is it not a good idea to do multiple?)
- Green Mandarin (far down the road)
- Some sort of Goby
- couple of Wrasses
- couple Pajama Cardinalfish (maybe, wife is not a fan)

If Possible
- Some sort of Anthias that could work in my tank. In my old 135g I used to have 5 bartletts and LOVED them. Just worried my current tank might not have the swimming space for them.

I am expecting to have a good size bio load in the tank but how does this all look? What would be the order you recommend for stocking? I am getting back into the hobby after 13 years out so the norm back when I first started was to add the clowns first, is that still a good idea?

Thanks in advance for the help!
tank1.jpeg

tank2.jpeg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wants
- Midas Blenny - Great
- Pair of Percula or Ocellaris Clowns - Great
- Firefish, Helfrichi or Some sort of Firefish (Is it not a good idea to do multiple?) - Great. A pair is possible if you happen to get a male and female. Adults don't tolerate each other unless bonded.
- Green Mandarin (far down the road) - Should be fine as long as you wait about a year and you have an area in the sump for pods to reproduce. Certain wrasses may hurt the pod population as well
- Some sort of Goby - Probably fine. Most sleeper gobies (like diamond) either jump out or starve. Watchmen are great.
- couple of Wrasses - Huge family of fishes. A couple flashers would work. The smallest fairies, like a Lubbock's, would be an option. Pink streak or possum is another option. The smallest Halichoeres, like H. chrysus or biocellatus might be okay.
- couple Pajama Cardinalfish (maybe, wife is not a fan) Banggais will be similar to the firefish. You would have to get a male and female. I believe pajamas are more social.

I'm not an anthias guy, so I'll mostly defer to others there. Bartlett's are bigger and fairly mean, and you might not have the swimming room needed.

I don't see any compatibility issues. Order shouldn't matter a whole lot. Clowns first is fine. I would add the firefish and any small peaceful wrasses early. Mandarin down the road.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That 32 inch length really eliminates most wrasses from stocking. Even the Lubbock's might be a bit cramped in there. I wouldn't put any Halichoeres Wrasses in a 32 inch long tank. The rest of the stock list looks good, but I think you will struggle long term with the mandarin even with a well established tank.

OP
OP
Falco

Falco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. I have some research to do on the wrasses, I know the 32" long tank is a little rough but its all I had to work with for the time being!

I am leaning towards getting the clowns first as my son has been excited to get his "nemo", then looking towards maybe the firefish and maybe my first flasher. lots more research to do!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back