Custom Pico build

Intricateart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to share with everyone a little Pico I'm building for my wife's office.
100_1439.jpg
100_1445.jpg
100_1448.jpg
PS,I won't be messing with my precious little antique tank,it was for size reference.I have been trying to think of something neat to do with it though. I'll post more pics as we progress.

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its going to be a nice tank. Not so little though! Office tanks are worth their weight in gold as far as stress relief. Thank you for sharing!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh yes! I love these builds!

OP
OP
Intricateart

Intricateart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any suggestions on filtration and heating.I know the filtration for the larger systems,but I'm new to Nanos.

ReefRMadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All i mess with is nanos, from experience just get 1lb live rock to 1 gallon (the more the better filtration). Get some macro algae (better filtration). N all i run on all my nano tanks, that are all over a year old as of now, is a lil HOB filter (the lil waterfall filters) every so often i put chemipure in it... And in my tank that small thats all i have is that filter as my "flow". Its a uber stable system. Just get different types of macro, live rock, clean up crew (i like my sexy shrimp in my nanos) and u should be able to grow anything. I have all different types of coral in my nanos that run on this same system.
Works for me n im positive itll work for u
This is my 33.. Started with hob skimmer but turned off after realizing i didnt need it cuz i wasnt really doing fish

This is my 8 gal (pic from months ago) havent taken recent shots

I have 3 different types of pipefish and they r as happy as can be in my 33

OP
OP
Intricateart

Intricateart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the sound of natural filtration. We are going to use live rock and sand from our established 150g.We have the macro and probably won't go with any fish,just inverts.I was having fun trying to fit a mini fuge under it but became too tall for a desk.

ReefRMadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i was u id even use ur seeded water from ur tank too. Or at least half seeded half not. In the beginning u may have to do tiny water changes. Like a cup, here in new orleans we use Mardi Gras cups lol. And evaporation is gonna suck if it gets warm, but can be handled easily. Right now its cold. I barely have any evap

Last edited:
OP
OP
Intricateart

Intricateart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be using seeded tank water.Office is quite cool with A/C.Looking for a micro heater.I wonder if an under tank heater like a snake heating pad could be turned down and keep a proper temp?

ReefRMadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kno when i had snakes those thigs got hotttt. I use to have ten snakes in my room as a teenager lol. Herpetology was my thing before salt water lol

I would go spend $10 at petco n buy the 10 gallon heater. Its already preset. No knobs. Just put it in and plug it up. Mines been working for years now. Been keeping an eye on it. Everyone knows its only a matter of time til a heater malfunctions.

If they have adjustable heating pads i dont see why they would work but they make u tank sit uneven being rimless. They r usually designed to sit between ur stand n bottom glass with the trim of u tank making a lil room for it

Last edited:

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 38 28.4%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 36 26.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back