Custom pico help

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I am looking at starting a small custom pico tank.

I'm thinking about 3 gallons total volume, bookshelf style tank. Lit with LEDs and having a small sump in the back with a nano skimmer and a small powerhead. No fish. Maybe a filter feeding invert.

Weekly water change ~1g. Mainly house very delicate branching Sps coral and a couple blastos.

I have seen it done before, so don't tell me it can't be done. I need suggestions on dimensions and whatever else y'all can think of. Thanks!

OP
OP
SnakeBlitz33

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Any suggestions on glass thickness, sump design?

I'm looking at an eshopps nano skimmer or a home made skimmer made from a water bottle and air stone,...

Yuma Trip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass thickness 5-7mm should be fine for a 3 gal. I have a 3 gal pico that I set up for about 2 or 3 months now. If you go for the skimmer I say go all out and make your own. The handy box ready ones normally are dinky at doing their job because the company isn't putting quality into the mini skimmers on the market yet. You can find some nano stuff that is OK as far as products on the market but when you go smaller than 5 gals customization becomes key. I've been attempting to even set up a mason jar, I've seen it fully established and with coral and everything. Thing is it was a no flow design and I'd rather have some so I'm wondering what to do that is incredibly tiny... But it just furthers my point that not much is really available as far as ready made equipment for that tiny of a tank. To be honest, if you can have a custom back intake and have a single power head that's pretty much how mine is set up. Check out the iq3 pico aquarium. Use that as a template possibly but do share your results, I've been wanting to recreate my tank for less money than you spend on the big name kits.

Yuma Trip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20140402_154152345.jpg

Reef Fever

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
easiest thing to do is find a small glass tank you like and then just mod it from there. I built the filtration on this. its now 4.5 gallons. began life as a plain old 7 gal fluvial flora

Attachments

• 4.5gal2.jpg
    4.5gal2.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 127

Yuma Trip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can find a fluval and hallow it out that might be one of your best bets. Great aestetics from that company and convenience of OK filter placement. You could try the evolve tank series as well. They have like a 2, and an 8, prolly more.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 17.5%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 48 42.1%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 14.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 25 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back