Custom settings for IceCap 4k Gyre

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon ya'll!

I got rid of my Vortech MP10 Wireless and went with the new IceCap 4k Gyre on my 40g Breeder. I have it set on one end and the flow is great but I'm having some issue that might not be fixable unless I buy a 2k for the other side of the tank but thought I'd ask here in case anyone had any more tips!

My main issue is the reverse function on the gyre. You can't use the reverse on an individual profile basis that I can see, it's either on or off in the pump settings.

For instance, I want to setup my pump so that it has sine wave flow from 10 - 50% on a 1 minute cycle duration for my daytime setting. Ok, done.

I want to setup my night time flow for a 25% constant speed. Ok, done.

I want to setup a cleaning profile for 30 minutes every day where it only runs in reverse at that time. Can't do it.

In the pump settings you can turn off or on the reverse function but if you do then it would randomly change my flow on my daytime profile so that it randomly runs in reverse.

Anyway to remedy this? I would be interested in other peoples profiles for the gyre if you'd be willing to share!

Last edited:

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I've found reverse mode, after owning six gyres, to be almost entirely useless. And the icecap controller is limited to set profiles versus the full blow wave engine that can allow for temporary profiles to supercede the normal ones (ie make a cleaning blitz mode).

OP
OP
MoreReefPlease

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I've found reverse mode, after owning six gyres, to be almost entirely useless. And the icecap controller is limited to set profiles versus the full blow wave engine that can allow for temporary profiles to supercede the normal ones (ie make a cleaning blitz mode).

So what you are telling me is that I should have went with the MaxSpect? lol

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also keep in mind, 25% in the profile will be 25% of your pump's defined operating range, not of the max total. If you want low night time flow, use something like 1%.

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what you are telling me is that I should have went with the MaxSpect? lol
No, the Maxspect controller also operates the same as the ice cap with scheduled duration profiles. I was referencing things like for 5 minutes every hour, flow goes 100%, or every four hours, super waves for 2 minutes, etc.

If you have an external controller with 0-10v, you can replicate 'blitz' profiles with the 0-10v input that the icecap controller does have. IMO the Maxspect are a generation of features behind at this point, software wise.

OP
OP
MoreReefPlease

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also keep in mind, 25% in the profile will be 25% of your pump's defined operating range, not of the max total. If you want low night time flow, use something like 1%.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I was unaware that the range was for the defined and not the max. This is very helpful!

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks for the info. I was unaware that the range was for the defined and not the max. This is very helpful!
I had a hint as my "30%" pumps were moving far faster than 30% RPM, Carlos confirmed it in a post yesterday.

Ie if the RPM in the pump setup is 25-100%, and that means 25-100RPM, then in the controller 1% = 25RPM,100% = 100RPM

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a 4k today...moves alot of water! I also would like the availability to ramp to 40% in forward and 100% reverse, or later im planing a 2nd 4k with two A impellers on one side, B's on the other side and running 100% forward but probably only 30% reverse as to not make a sand storm. I didnt know reverse speed would be locked to forward speed...kinda bummed. It is awesome though!!

OP
OP
MoreReefPlease

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a 4k today...moves alot of water! I also would like the availability to ramp to 40% in forward and 100% reverse, or later im planing a 2nd 4k with two A impellers on one side, B's on the other side and running 100% forward but probably only 30% reverse as to not make a sand storm. I didnt know reverse speed would be locked to forward speed...kinda bummed. It is awesome though!!

I'm in the same boat as you my friend. I'm thinking of ordering a 2K for the other side if the tank.

In some of the images for advertising for the Gyre it shows settings with SPS and LPS, mixed reef and so on.

Definitely don't get those settings on mine!

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did play some more and noticed I missed that you can set the reverse speed range separately from forward. So thats cool. But reverse only at given times still not seemingly possible yet. They have an Experimental Firmware im sure for Beta but don't have any idea what it would contain nor how to revert back if it crashes. Maybe I'll send a note to CoralVue and ask. Our contollers our locked into basically a "lite" (dumbed downed) version of the new Wave Engine. Didn't know this before I purchased, as its not blatantly clear. CoarlVue could open Custom in the software pretty easy im sure, its the same Hydros app...

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are open to feature changes if enough request them. I'm of the opinion that the repeating triggers (ie. 5 min blast mode) should be part of a new feature release. It's a big missing piece from the IC2GC imo.

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you say that, I just programed my attempt at a clean mode:
Trigger = 8am
Mode = Wave (I created a "Wave" mode set to 0 voltage, 5 min timout)
Preset = Constant speed 100%

With Normal mode having a trigger of 0:00 still.

I'll let you know how it works...little more trouble but high hopes!

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing it via 0-10v input from my Profilux right now, but they should just extend that WE functionality to the IC2GC too. If they're worried about the IC2GC cannibalizing WE sales, two entirely different market sets that wouldn't normally cross anyway, imo.

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, Im just back in now after a 10 year hiatus. So eventually I'm sure ill talk myself into a full controller...but yes until then, let me at least have the software to do everything the hardware can. Vortech's just came out when I left, so I dont have them sitting around. Hence didnt think I needed a diffrent controller to have all possibilities.

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing it via 0-10v input from my Profilux right now, but they should just extend that WE functionality to the IC2GC too. If they're worried about the IC2GC cannibalizing WE sales, two entirely different market sets that wouldn't normally cross anyway, imo.
Can you set a different trigger at each voltage integer on your Profilux and the IC2GC read each one...or just 1?

Shunopoli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to figure out the different in the pumps actual speed and the presets speed setting. So my two pumps have a speed range of 25% to 75% and my preset has 15% to 56%. What are my pumps actually running at? It's pretty confusing

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know ocean gyre mode runs in reverse at some point in the program, but it has a minimum setting of 40%? At least that's the way it is on my gyre 330's. I'm not sure if the ice cap follows the some programming?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back