Cutting coral off the plug

DerekT5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am getting some new acros and stylos. They are about the size of a thumb and want to know if there are any ways to get them off the plug. Thanks!

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometime you can pop them off by wedging something like a butter knife in between the plug and glue, works most of the time for me. If I have trouble with that, I usually resort to breaking the plug stem off and trying the shear off the edges of the disc with bone cutters or something.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they encrusted? If not, just pull on the acro (especially easier if it’s nice and chunky) and it will pop off. If it is encrusted, I would saw off all the way down to the base.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if you pop it off after partial encrusting, just throw the plug back in the rack and let it grow back :)

nrupaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last edited:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
DerekT5

DerekT5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they encrusted? If not, just pull on the acro (especially easier if it’s nice and chunky) and it will pop off. If it is encrusted, I would saw off all the way down to the base.

Some of them are encrusted and I will just leave those encrust over the plug. But most are not encrusting.

nrupaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some of them are encrusted and I will just leave those encrust over the plug. But most are not encrusting.

when i shop for frags i purposely try avoiding corals that are too encrusted. Just because they are easier to pop off plugs. sometimes you can use bone cutters to crave around the encrusted part.

but not worth the risk IMO. Majority of the junk (e.g. bubble algea, red turf, aptasia etc) is always on the frag plus. Not worth the trouble for a 1/4 inch of encrusting.

Back