Cutting coral off the plug

Discussion in 'General SPS Discussion' started by DerekT5, Dec 6, 2017 at 4:42 PM.

1. DerekT5

DerekT5 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I am getting some new acros and stylos. They are about the size of a thumb and want to know if there are any ways to get them off the plug. Thanks!

Tags:

2. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Goby Whisperer R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Sometime you can pop them off by wedging something like a butter knife in between the plug and glue, works most of the time for me. If I have trouble with that, I usually resort to breaking the plug stem off and trying the shear off the edges of the disc with bone cutters or something.

Dsnakes likes this.
  3. tdileo

tdileo Well-Known Member

Are they encrusted? If not, just pull on the acro (especially easier if it’s nice and chunky) and it will pop off. If it is encrusted, I would saw off all the way down to the base.

Dsnakes likes this.
  4. DerekT5

Thanks I will give it a try

5. Dsnakes

Dsnakes Knight Reefer R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

And if you pop it off after partial encrusting, just throw the plug back in the rack and let it grow back :)

6. nrupaw

nrupaw Active Member

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 5:59 PM
  7. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Photo of the Month Award

8. DerekT5

Some of them are encrusted and I will just leave those encrust over the plug. But most are not encrusting.

Dsnakes likes this.
  9. nrupaw

nrupaw Active Member

when i shop for frags i purposely try avoiding corals that are too encrusted. Just because they are easier to pop off plugs. sometimes you can use bone cutters to crave around the encrusted part.

but not worth the risk IMO. Majority of the junk (e.g. bubble algea, red turf, aptasia etc) is always on the frag plus. Not worth the trouble for a 1/4 inch of encrusting.

tdileo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted